Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Cultivation (growing techniques)

Cultivation (growing techniques): Preparing for the show

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Mel Linney

This thread is, primarily, to help new exhibitors take that first step into the wonderful world of shows.

Go to latest contribution by David Hoare, 29 January 2010, 16:57. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Mel Linney 19 January 2010, 16:21top / bottom of page

Sempervivum montanum

Second Cassiope 'Badenoch'

Rhododendron 'Curlew'

Salix reticulata

Andromeda polifolia Macrophylla

Androsace 'Chumbyi'

Second Rhododendron 'Wren'

Pack the plants in the boxes and you are ready to fill the car.

Oh, before I forget I must stand down the guard.

And you may have a nice surprise to take home.

How do you get your plants to the show? Please share your Knowledge and experience.

Contribution from Elizabeth Maddock 20 January 2010, 13:09top / bottom of page
Transporting plants to shows

The main aim with moving plants is to keep them absolutely still. I, and a lot of other people, put the plant pots in trays (seed trays, bakers' trays and those useful collapsible plastic boxes), then you jam them in, so the pots don't move at all. You can wedge them with newspaper, old cloths and I find small plastic pots are fery adaptable. You can keep a supply on your vehicle and they are bendy and will take up plenty of slack.

Big shallow pots will sometimes be useful for wedging and can be freestanding as they don't tip easily. The worst that can happen is if you have everything immovable is that top dressing will tip out if you have to brake suddenly or go round a particularly tight bend. For this reason take a supply of topdressing and suitable tools, lastly a damp sponge for last minute cleaning.

Contribution from Mel Linney 28 January 2010, 12:40top / bottom of page

Thanks for your comments Elizabeth.

Contribution from Mel Linney 28 January 2010, 12:54top / bottom of page

Now that you have selected and dressed your plants you will need to enter them into the right classes at the show. Remember, if you have a nice specimen in the garden you can lift that, put it into a suitable container for exhibition. If you have not received a schedule contact Pershore, alternatively, a copy of the schedule can be viewed and printed from the website. Entries can be submitted on the day of the show for 'C' section but personally I have always preferred to phone or e-mail my entries to the show secretary beforehand, there's enough to do on the day without adding to the load.

Contribution from Mel Linney 28 January 2010, 13:10top / bottom of page

On the day of the show I like to arrive about an hour before the end of staging, I also work out the travelling time then add 30 minutes to allow for unforseen delays this gives a start time from home. You can guarentee that if a delay time isn't included there will be a hold up that can cause problems down the line (Sod's Law). When arriving at the venue take a little time to look around the show hall to find where you need to display your exhibits. If you encounter any problems there will be stewards on hand to help and advise. Once you have located the classes you have entered get your plants from the car and away you go.

Always take a good look at your exhibits and remove any imperfections such as dead flowers,or leaves, give the pot a final clean , make sure it has its name then head for the cafe or plant stalls. While you eagerly await the results chat to your fellow exhibitors, they are a wonderful bunch of folk and will make you welcome.

I hope my humble attempts have encouraged you to try your hand at exhibiting or to visit a show and good luck.

Contribution from Judy Rhymes 28 January 2010, 20:40top / bottom of page

Thanks for all these tips and advice, Mel - I have found them very useful.

Another tip - always check that you've put the correct plant in the specified class!

It's so easy to put your plants down, then forget to double check that they are all in the right place.

Contribution from Elizabeth Maddock 28 January 2010, 22:08top / bottom of page
Another tip

It is also very easy to leave a show and get home and realise you have left a plant behind. Make sure you take home all your plants or spend the next few weeks organising its trip back. Take comfort that lots of people have done it.

Contribution from Colin Dolding 29 January 2010, 00:13top / bottom of page

Many thanks Mel for this thread and all your work posting the information. Good to see several others participating.

Looking forward to a new show season with hopefully many new exhibitors as a result.

I thought "C class" was well contested last year with some well presented plants from many new growers.

Contribution from Judy Rhymes 29 January 2010, 11:10top / bottom of page

Thank you, Mel

For doing so well

In giving us tips

For getting to grips

With showing our plants

Contribution from David Hoare 29 January 2010, 16:57top / bottom of page

And don't forget to drop the Show Secretary and the Judges a Tenner.

No only jokeing.

David.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 2:    1   (2)   previous

This discussion Thread: Preparing for the show - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Cultivation (growing techniques)
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion