Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Cultivation (growing techniques)

Cultivation (growing techniques): Novice question on plunge beds in the alpine house

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Keith Allchin

Go to latest contribution by Keith Allchin, 25 August 2008, 09:19. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Keith Allchin 21 August 2008, 20:46top / bottom of page

Should I water the pots (which are clay of course) or just keep the sand moist at all times?

Contribution from John Richards 22 August 2008, 17:58top / bottom of page

Hello Keith. There is no simple answer to your question. It depends on the time of year, the weather and the plant. In winter I only water the plunge and then sparingly, just to keep it damp. In hot summer weather I spray everything liberally once the sun is off the plants, to help cool things down. Most often I water the plunge and then around the rim of the pots to a lesser extent. Nevertheless, I know there is a danger that the centre of large plants can get too dry and I do occasionally water into the cushion or mat as well, especially as the plants come into growth and set buds. This would probably kill most dionysias however!Often, when large plants in crock pots are repotted, the roots are found to be restricted to the edge, because this is where they get most of the water, and clearly, this is not ideal. As with most other aspects of gardening, it is all a matter of common sense and intelligent guesswork, otherwise known as green fingers!

Contribution from Keith Allchin 25 August 2008, 09:19top / bottom of page

Thanks John. This is more or less what I had been doing, but it's good to know I am on the right lines.

This discussion Thread: Novice question on plunge beds in the alpine house - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Cultivation (growing techniques)
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion