Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Wimborne Show 27th May 2017

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Caroline Seymour, 30 May 2017, 11:04. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 7:    (1)   2   3   4   5   6   7   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 29 May 2017, 10:43top / bottom of page

I was woken at 5am on Saturday by a loud and prolonged peal of thunder, which was sadly not followed by the gentle hiss of falling rain.  When I set off at six am, the skies were black behind me and the roads were full of puddles, except for a mile or so around my house where the Hogsback seemed to have created a rain shadow.  The trip to the show went without incident, though there was heavy cloud cover, and not the normal glorious late spring morning which makes me want to stop and take photos as I cross the New Forest.

Once I arrived, I barely stopped until it was time to return home: unload and stage a few plants (3 seconds and a third - sad, but they weren't really in show condition), a quick rush round the plant stalls, and then back into the show hall to judge the local groups' photographic competition before setting up my 'studio' and starting to take pictures.  I'm sorry, but in the rush I didn't take views of the show benches.

As usual, the Open section was dominated by a handful of exhibitors, but these were augmented by a great effort from the local group members who brought a wonderful array of plants for the Novice and Intermediate sections, with the occasional large pot sallying forth into Open. 

Eulophia euglossa x guineensis

I started by photographing two orchids entered as a non-competitive exhibit by Mike Powell.  Eulophia is a mainly tropical genus, so not terribly hardy, but it was a lovely plant and provided an opportunity to check my camera settings and setup.

Eulophia euglossa x guineensis
Amitostigma x enomotoe

This was the second non-competitive entry from Mike Powell; this time a hybrid between two Japanese species.  I took lots of close-ups of this and the two plants following, but sadly none of them are properly sharp.  You might think this was down to failing eyesight, but the light in the hall was quite dim, so my exposures were about 1.5 seconds long at this point (at ISO 200 - on the Canon DSLRs I use I get visible noise at ISO 400 and certainly at ISO 800 - Nikon users have a huge advantage in this respect).  To compound the problem of long exposures, the show (sports) hall had a sprung floor, which meant that everything jiggled if someone walked past, and although I was well away from any doors, there was a little draught in the morning which seemed to disappear later when the show was open.

Amitostigma x enomotoe
Disa sagittalis

In the show proper Mike Powell entered this little South African orchid, which won the Downland Trophy for the best plant in the Novice section for the second year running.  I'm sorry about the close-ups - it looked lovely.

Disa sagittalis
Pasithea caerulea

Also in the Novice section, Russell Beeson entered this lovely blue member of the Asphodelaceae from South America.  Again it would have made excellent close-ups if I had been able to keep it still.

Pasithea caerulea
Dactylorhiza hybrid

Ben Parmee brought several pans of Dactylorhiza hybrids from his garden, where they seem to self-seed with abandon.

Dactylorhiza hybrid
Drosera capensis

Stephen Lobley exhibited several pans of different species of Drosera (Sundew), all with lovely leaves.  This one is from South Africa.  He also entered a set of close-up photos of leaves from different species, and this prompted me to have a try.

Drosera capensis
Saxifraga Winifred Bevington

Together with the Dactylorhizas, this saxifrage brought Ben Parmee the John Blanchard Cup for the Novice Section aggregate.

Saxifraga Winifred Bevington
Gaultheria mucronata Snow White

Moving on to the Intermediate section, David and Liz Livermore showed this pretty white Gaultheria, which I am more used to seeing in fruit.

Gaultheria mucronata Snow White

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 7:    (1)   2   3   4   5   6   7   next

This discussion Thread: Wimborne Show 27th May 2017 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion