Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Wimborne AGS Show 2015

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 02 June 2015, 07:50. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 31 May 2015, 22:42top / bottom of page

It is always a pleasure to drive down through the New Forest in the early morning, though the photographer in me wants to stop and make the most of the light.  Before long you cross the river Stour, then turn right, back over the river, and slip through the edge of the town to arrive at the school.  As usual, we arrived at the show early (7.45), as I was bringing artistic entries for the Intermediate Photography section, as well as plants of my own, again for the Intermediate section.

Although there were some fine plants, the number of entries had fallen slightly from last year, and judging was quick and efficient.

Pleione chunii

Twice previously Ian Robertson has exhibited this pleione, and I have photographed it late in the day, slightly the worse for wear (the plant that is, I don't get the opportunity to get that way).  This year I was determined to avoid that problem, and grabbed it straightaway when judging finished.

Pleione chunii
Disa sagittalis

This delicate South African orchid was exhibited in the Novice section by Michael Powell.  I'm sorry about the picture - it wasn't the easiest of subjects, and at this point I was still struggling with my portable studio set-up.  I moved location twice after this, in the course of the next few photos, before settling down.

Disa sagittalis
Ledebouria cooperi

The Downland Trophy for the best plant in the Novice section, and the New Forest Trophy for the best plant in the Intermediate and Novice sections shown by a member of the Hampshire or Dorset groups, went to first time exhibitor (?) Paddy Parmee for this Ledebouria.

Ledebouria cooperi
Sorbus reducta

The John Blanchard Cup for the points aggregate in the Novice Section went to my local group member, James Lintott, who exhibited this Sorbus in the foliage effect class, a sempervivum, and a small cushion.

Sorbus reducta
Campanula Albert Kirkham

We remarked last year on this lovely campanula, exhibited by Tony Bennett.  This year it was looking even better.

Campanula Albert Kirkham
Rhodohypoxis Appleblossom

I said I brought along some of my own plants for the Intermediate section.  Nearly all were rhodohypoxis, but only small pans, which I didn't consider worthy of the Open Section.  My large show pans are much later this year, only just through the ground, and would probably be perfect for the Pershore show if I was able to attend.

Rhodohypoxis Appleblossom
Rhodohypoxis baurii

This small neat pink form of Rhodohypoxis baurii is one I got from Aberconwy nursery several years ago.  The flowers are half the size of the common cultivars, and I think it is probably R. baurii var baurii.  Unfortunately, the pot was measured to be 26.5cm, so it was evicted from the Intermediate section and had to contend in the Open section.

Rhodohypoxis baurii
Abies pinsapo Atlas

Pauline Carless won the Wessex Trophy for the aggregate in the Intermediate section; her plants included this pretty conifer.

Abies pinsapo Atlas
Tsuga canadensis Minuta

In the Open section, Diane Clement won the class for 3 large pans of conifers with a lovely exhibit, including this tsuga, and the Picea glauca var albertiana Tiny I photographed at Malvern.

Tsuga canadensis Minuta
Acer palmatum Red Dwarf

This lovely maple was exhibited in the classes for foliage effect by Ivan Pinnick.

Acer palmatum Red Dwarf
Ramonda myconi

This ramonda won the small-pan class for a plant raised from seed for Dave Mountfort.

Ramonda myconi
Allium gomphrenoides

Ray Drew exhibited this interesting and pretty little Greek onion, grown from seed S&KT 98/18/01 via Gothenburg, in the class for plants grown from seed.

Allium gomphrenoides
Allium fimbriatum subsp fimbriatum

This more familiar species was exhibited by Bob and Rannveig Wallis in the bulbous classes.

Allium fimbriatum subsp fimbriatum
Allium cassium

George Elder staged three lovely pans of bulbs in the class for 3 plants grown from seed by the exhibitor.  First an allium I haven't photographed before.

Allium cassium
Watsonia humilis

At the back of George Elder's three pans from seed was this lovely Watsonia - I would dearly like to be able to get it to flower at all.

Watsonia humilis

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

This discussion Thread: Wimborne AGS Show 2015 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion