Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Summer Show North - Bakewell - Sunday 15th June 2014

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Cliff Booker

Go to latest contribution by Helen Johnstone, 20 June 2014, 13:57. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 6:    (1)   2   3   4   5   6   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Cliff Booker 15 June 2014, 19:01top / bottom of page

Just returned from the inaugural AGS Summer Show North held at the Agricultural Business Centre in Bakewell, Derbyshire. Congratulations to joint Show Secretaries, Chris & Jim McGregor and their wonderful team of helpers on a highly successful show that attracted many of the leading exhibitors, twelve excellent nurseries and quite a number of interested visitors.  The Farrer Medal (for the Best Exhibit in the Show) was won by long time exhibitor but first time winner; Tony Lee from Long Eaton with his beautifully flowered, Sempervivum arachnoideum. Nice to see a semp' winning such a prestigious prize.

Contribution from Jon Evans 17 June 2014, 20:36top / bottom of page

Thanks to Cliff for posting these pictures so quickly, and in particular for posting this picture of Tony Lee with his sempervivum, and not the one with my ugly mug in the background.

The Bakewell Show is a long way for me, but fortunately I was able to spend the night in Nottingham, and leave my wife to spend a happy Sunday with her mother while I came to the show.  In fact, the journey from Nottingham took longer than I expected, with miles of winding roads and unfamiliar junctions.

Nevertheless I arrived about 8am, in gloomy, overcast, humid conditions, which persisted for most of the day.  I was able to set up a photography table next to a huge window, and used the light from the window in conjunction with a reflector for most of the day, only needing my LED panel a few times for awkward close-ups, where a reflector can't be positioned to shed light in the right place, and later in the afternoon when conditions deteriorated, and people were returning to the show hall with umbrellas up.

Between staging my plants and starting the photography, I was able to make a quick rush round the plant stalls, and grab a quick mug of coffee and a bacon bap, with a welcome chat.  Later in the day this proved fortunate, since the otherwise excellent cafe was only serving (huge) plates from the carvery, and made no provision of sandwiches or other portable foodstuffs.  So Maggi's prediction came true and I didn't get any lunch, not that it did me any harm.  Another time I think my bacon bap might expand into a heaped plate of farmer's breakfast, which would eclipse any thought of lunch.  However, a steady flow of mugs of tea brought by kind exhibitors sustained me through the day, and I had a welcome evening meal in Nottingham, before resuming the drive home.

Incarvillea zhongdianensis

My test plant (photographed before judging had finished) was this white Incarvillea.  I knew it was safe to remove it from the bench - it was third in its class - but I wanted a photo of it as it was my own plant.  It may not be an ideal show plant (described by one judge as a good plant for the herbaceous border), but I was pleased with it.

Incarvillea zhongdianensis
Alstroemeria diluta

By the time I had sorted out my equipment, and the best way of managing the light, the judges had finished, and I was able to start photographing the award plants.  This alstroemeria was exhibited by Martin and Anna Sheader, and won a Certificate of Merit.

Alstroemeria diluta
Cajophora coronata

The alstroemeria was in a three-pan entry which won the Bill Mackenzie Trophy (three pans from a named continent) for Martin and Anna Sheader, together with the mimulus I photographed at Summer South, and this nasty stinging plant, which nobody really wanted to handle.  The Cajophora was also awarded a Certificate of Merit.

Cajophora coronata
Campanula myrtifolia

Martin and Anna Sheader won a third Certificate of Merit for this lovely white campanula.

Campanula myrtifolia
Campanula myrtifolia (blue)

In the same three-pan entry Martin and Anna Sheader included the delicate blue form of this campanula.

Campanula myrtifolia (blue)
Sempervivum arachnoideum

However, all these fine plants were pipped at the post by a sempervivum in perfect condition, exhibited by Tony Lee, an amazed, deserving, and popular winner of his first Farrer medal.

Sempervivum arachnoideum
Physoplexis comosa

Colin and Kathleen Billington won the Charles Graham Trophy for the best plant in the Intermediate Section with this Physoplexis.

Physoplexis comosa
Flower arrangement

One of the highlights of the show, which I was asked to photograph several times before I summoned up the nerve to transport (I asked Mavis first), was this beautiful flower arrangement by Mavis and Sam Lloyd.
The second photo shows a side view - an enormous amount of work goes into making these arrangements fully 3D, and the final shot gives a higher angle.

Flower arrangement

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 6:    (1)   2   3   4   5   6   next

This discussion Thread: Summer Show North - Bakewell - Sunday 15th June 2014 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion