Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: South West Show 28th March 2015

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jack Meatcher, 03 April 2015, 17:24. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 01 April 2015, 14:54top / bottom of page

The trip down to Exeter on Saturday was much better than I expected having seen the weather forecast the previous evening.  The predicted rain and strong winds did not materialise (at least not until Sunday, when I was at Wisley helping to run the World of Alpines display on behalf of the Woking and East Surrey Groups), though there was persistent low cloud and drizzle most of the way.  However, the banks were burgeoning with primroses, and I had Chris Barber's Jazz Band to keep me company most of the way down.

Most of the morning, whilst judging was going on, we had warm sunshine, and I was anxious to get on with the photography.  I cannot remove plants from the benches before judging has finished, unless it is clear that the plant in question is not going to be considered further, but I can go and photograph any entries which I would normally take 'in situ' on the show bench.

Small 6-pan class

There were no entries for the large 6-pan class, but Ian Robertson had an entry in the small 6-pan.  Sadly, it was deemed insufficient for an AGS Medal, and was given a 2nd.

Small 6-pan class
Intermediate 6-pan class

There were two entries for the Intermediate 6-pan class.  On the left is the entry from Pauline Carless, and on the right the entry from Duncan Bennett.  Neither of these was deemed deserving of a first, and they were awarded 3rd place and 2nd place respectively.  I think Duncan Bennett's entry was pretty close to the standard required, but maybe one or two plants let the entry down.

Intermediate 6-pan class
Veitch Trophy

I also photographed the four entries for the class for 3 pans of bulbous plants, for which the Veitch Trophy is awarded.  The second picture shows the winning entry from Bob & Rannveig Wallis.  

Veitch Trophy
Fritillaria crassifolia subsp crassifolia

This fritillaria from Bob and Rannveig Wallis' Veitch Trophy 3-pan was awarded a Certificate of Merit.

Fritillaria crassifolia subsp crassifolia
Iris nusairiensis

This iris from Bob and Rannveig Wallis' Veitch Trophy 3-pan was also awarded a Certificate of Merit.

Iris nusairiensis
Tulipa kurdica

This tulip was the third plant from Bob and Rannveig Wallis' Veitch Trophy 3-pan.  This is probably the furthest open I have ever seen it.

Tulipa kurdica
Romulea bulbocodium

The first job as show photographer, once judging has finished, is to take any plants which are looking good, but likely to deteriorate quickly, either because they will close up when the sun goes off them, or because they will reflex (crocuses) or flop and shrivel (iris, erythronium).  This romulea was grown from seed sown in December 2008 by Ian Robertson.

Romulea bulbocodium
Romulea requienii

Ian Robertson also showed R. requienii, from seed sown in July 2007.

Romulea requienii
Tulipa cretica

There were two forms of Tulipa cretica on the show bench.  The first is a good pan from Lee and Julie Martin.  The second, with a pink flush, is the Mt Dikti form from Ian Robertson.

Tulipa cretica
Spiloxene species

George Elder grows a good collection of South African bulbs, and brings them to shows if they happen to flower at the right time.  This is an unidentified Spiloxene species.

Spiloxene species
Gladiolus uysiae

George Elder also exhibited this lovely South African gladiolus.

Gladiolus uysiae
Iris bucharica

Duncan Bennett exhibited this iris in the Intermediate Section.

Iris bucharica

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

This discussion Thread: South West Show 28th March 2015 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion