Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: South West Show 2012

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 03 April 2012, 11:15. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 4 of 5:    1   2   3   (4)   5   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 03 April 2012, 08:50top / bottom of page
Androsace villosa ssp. kosopolianskyi

An unusual form of Androsace villosa from Russia, exhibited by Ivan Pinnick.

Androsace villosa ssp. kosopolianskyi
Saxifraga burseriana Mangert

Another of Eric's plants, again in beautifully fresh condition.

Saxifraga burseriana Mangert
Townsendia spathulata Cotton Ball

Despite the lack of sun, I was glad the hall got warm enough for this Townsendia exhibited by Dot Sample to open.

Townsendia spathulata Cotton Ball
6 pans of Monocots

The Ivor Barton Memorial Trophy for 6 pans of monocotyledons went to Bob and Rannveig Wallis for this exhibit.

6 pans of Monocots
Trillium maculatum

At the back left of Bob and Rannveig's exhibit was this trillium.

Trillium maculatum
Muscari macbeathianum

From the front row came this muscari.

Muscari macbeathianum
Trillium pusillum v. pusillum

Bob and Rannveig Wallis also showed this small delicate pot of Trillium pusillum.

Trillium pusillum v. pusillum
Erythronium hendersonii

My goodness! My second first of the year, and again in a class with 6 entries - what were the judges thinking of ?

Again two versions of the close-up; one with the LED panel, and one without.

Erythronium hendersonii
Iris sari

Exhibited by George Elder. I have photographed this several times, but have never caught it as fresh and lovely as this.

Iris sari
Fritillaria orientalis

My first thought was what a tangled crow's nest of a plant. I wondered if it would fall out of the pot on the way to be photographed.

Fritillaria orientalis

A first attempt at photographing the whole plant - a little better but not wonderful.

The obvious solution - a close up. Perhaps it would have been better with a little larger aperture, but I wanted to be sure I captured the whole of these deep rounded bells.

Narcissus bulbocodium Diamond Ring

Another lovely pan of daffodils from Lee and Julie Martin

Narcissus bulbocodium Diamond Ring
Narcissus Solveig's Song

Finally, I think my favourite daffodil, exhibited by George Elder. 10 years ago, I could grow it easily and bloom it well; now I struggle to keep it alive. Perhaps it's climate change.

Narcissus Solveig's Song
Paintings of Ranunculaceae

At the end of the hall, was a beautiful display of paintings of Ranunculaceae by Liz Copas. Liz is a wonderful artist, though scarcely known within the AGS. She seldom exhibits her work, and only at this show in the South West.

Below are most of the individual paintings; there were a few more, but they were at the top of the display, and it was hard to avoid the reflections on them.

Paintings of Ranunculaceae

Three anemones: Anemone blanda, coronaria St. Bridgid and nemorosa

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 4 of 5:    1   2   3   (4)   5   previous   next

This discussion Thread: South West Show 2012 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion