Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: South West AGS Show, 2013 in Exeter

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jim McGregor

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 15 April 2013, 18:13. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jim McGregor 15 April 2013, 09:45top / bottom of page

Full results from the South West Show on Saturday are available now with pictures of the trophy plants:

Show Results

Contribution from Jim McGregor 15 April 2013, 11:12top / bottom of page

Report of the Joint Rock Committee meeting is also now up:

Joint Rock Exeter, 2013

Contribution from Jon Evans 15 April 2013, 18:13top / bottom of page

The Exeter Show is one of those it is usually a joy to drive to - swooping across the hills of Salisbury plain in early morning Spring sunshine. This Saturday I arrived in Petersfield to find that the three crates of Primulas that were coming were ready and waiting, but still in the greenhouses,so loading took a little longer than normal. Despite this, not 2 miles from Petersfield we discovered that the road to Winchester was closed for overnight roadworks, so an unexpected diversion down the lanes to East and then West Meon ensued. On the bright side, we followed a barn owl ghosting down the lane in the halflight, a sight I haven't encountered for far too many years.

Although the weather was intermittently bright, the hills were mainly cloaked in low cloud, necessitating a sharp reduction in speed, particularly near Winchester, across Salisbury plain, and over the hills between Illminster and Honiton. About 15 minutes before we got to Exeter it started to rain, and continued to do so for most of the day. The hall used for the Exeter usually has fantastic light, being built mainly of glass; this year I was forced to resort to my LED panel for much of the day.

When I arrived I was glad to see that most of the artistic exhibits (which I had brought down the previous weekend on a brief trip taking my son back to Plymouth University) had already been put up, despite some teething problems with using the new boards; even so I only just finished putting my own entries up before judging.

After a quick rush round the sales hall, I returned upstairs, determined to photograph the plants which were likely to close in the gloom as quickly as possible. In the event, this haste was unnecessary; the warmth of the hall kept most of them open all day.

Townsendia spathulata

I started with three different forms of Townsendia spathulata, exhibited by Graham Nicholls in the classes for plants raised from seed.

Townsendia spathulata
Townsendia spathulata Pryor Mountains form

Exhibited by Graham Nicholls

Townsendia spathulata Pryor Mountains form
Townsendia spathulata Cottonball form

Exhibited by Graham Nicholls

Townsendia spathulata Cottonball form
Townsendia sp. Cottonball

A larger specimen of the Cottonball form was exhibited by Martin and Anna Sheader, and (provisionally) awarded a PC by the JRGC.

Townsendia sp. Cottonball
Lewisia brachycalyx

Graham Nicholls also raised this fine Lewisia from seed; it was awarded a Certificate of Merit.

Lewisia brachycalyx
Tulipa neustreuvae

Next on my mental list of plants likely to close without the sun was this tulip, exhibited by Bob and Rannveig Wallis. Later in the day it was given an Award of Merit (provisional) by the JRGC.

Tulipa neustreuvae
Iris iberica ssp. iberica

Also from Bob and Rannveig Wallis was one of the highlights of the day, this diminutive form of Iris iberica ssp iberica, awarded a Certificate of Merit, and (provisionally) a Prelimary Commendation from JRGC.

Iris iberica ssp. iberica
Iris nusairiensis

Almost equally beautiful was a second iris exhibited by the Wallises.

Iris nusairiensis
Iris taurica

A third iris from Bob and Rannveig Wallis.

Iris taurica
Romulea bulbocodium Jenny Robinson

This romulea exhibited by Ian Robertson completed my initial hunt for plants. This was one of Ian's fine small 6-pan exhibit.

Romulea bulbocodium Jenny Robinso
Dionysia iranshahrii

At about this point I was joined by Paul and Gill Ranson, who had had what must have been a very early lunch, and had volunteered to help me carry the plants. In the event, they carried almost everything, and I focused completely on photographing the plants that appeared on my bench. So many thanks to both of them, particularly when I remember that the only plant of theirs I photographed was a tiny Dionysia iranshahrii, to commemorate their winning of the aggregate trophy for the Primulaceae classes, the Peter Edwards Memorial Trophy.

Dionysia iranshahrii
Soldanella hybrid

This lovely Soldanella, exhibited by Pam Weston, won the Otter Trophy for the best plant in the Novice Section.

Soldanella hybrid
Primula marginata

The aggregate award for the Novice Section, the Dartington Trophy, went to Duncan Bennett, who exhibited this beautiful, fresh little primula.

Primula marginata
Fritillaria kurdica Talish strain

Andrew Ward won the Cornwall Trophy for the best plant in the Intermediate Section with this Fritillaria. Andrew also won the Dartmoor Trophy for the aggregate in the Intermediate section.

Fritillaria kurdica Talish strain
Primula allionii Timsbury Glow

A close runner-up in the Intermediate section aggregate was Peter Summers, whose plants included this Primula allionii clone, raised originally by Graham Nicholls.

Primula allionii Timsbury Glow
Fritillaria tubiformis

The East Devon Trophy for the best plant in a 19cm pot went to Peter Erskine for a fine pan of Fritillaria tubiformis (always awkward to photograph, because the flowers hang so close to the grit).

Fritillaria tubiformis

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

This discussion Thread: South West AGS Show, 2013 in Exeter - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion