Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: South Wales Show - 17th Feb 2018

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Don Peace

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 24 February 2018, 00:14. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 6:    (1)   2   3   4   5   6   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Don Peace 18 February 2018, 06:51top / bottom of page
Bob & Rannveig Wallis win the Farrer Medal with Crocus cvijicii
Bob & Rannveig Wallis win the Farrer Medal with Cr

Contribution from Tim Ingram 19 February 2018, 10:11top / bottom of page

What a lovely picture of all three Don Peace!

Contribution from Jon Evans 19 February 2018, 23:02top / bottom of page

Don has got these photos of exhibitors with their winning plant down to a fine art now, hasn't he.

I found myself getting up even earlier than usual for the first show of the season - I wanted to be at Caerleon by 8am or thereabouts, as I had a large photographic display to stage. At 6am, when it was just starting to get light, the temperature in Surrey was -2C, and we drove through banks of quite thick fog on the roads up to Reading, and then most of the way along the M4.  By that time they were alternating with patches of bright sunshine in the rearview mirror, but this faded into cloud as we approached the Severn crossing.

Fortunately my lovely wife Helen was kind enough to accompany me, to help with setting up (and taking down) the display (213 new prints from photos taken in 2016 and 2017), but even so, by the time we finished they were calling for exhibitors to leave the hall.  I was glad that I had brought it; I try to stage a display at the South Wales Show to provide interest, because the number of plants in flower this early in the season can be very variable.  

This year several notable exhibitors, who usually provide the mainstay of the show, were absent, and as a result the showbenches, whilst full of interest, were not as crowded as they have been in some seasons.  In some ways I was thankful for that; I was doing the show photography, and having had a bad back for four weeks which is now on the mend, I didn't want to carry many heavy pots.

My display was composed of three sections: Portraits of Alpines at Shows, Portraits of Alpines in the Garden, and Alpines in Close-Up, each of which was accompanied by notes on photographic technique.  After some debate, I have decided to include photographs of each panel, to give you a better idea of its coverage.

Portraits of Alpines at Shows
Portraits of Alpines at Shows
Portraits of Alpines in the Garden
Portraits of Alpines in the Garden
Alpines in Close-Up
Alpines in Close-Up

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 6:    (1)   2   3   4   5   6   next

This discussion Thread: South Wales Show - 17th Feb 2018 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion