Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: South Wales Show 16th Feb 2013

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 23 March 2013, 21:46. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 14 February 2013, 14:30top / bottom of page

Things are awfully quiet here. The South Wales Show is taking place this Saturday. I will be taking my camera to capture any prize specimens, and a display of digitally manipulated images to bring colour and interest at one end of the hall. Hope to see you all there.

Contribution from Jon Evans 21 February 2013, 16:31top / bottom of page

After a busy week I finally have time to start posting the images from the South Wales Show. The drive to the show should have been a pleasure, on a bright crisp sunny morning, but from Swindon onwards we encountered patchy fog, which meant fog lights, reduced speeds, and that edge to your concentration which makes driving exhausting.

Still, a cheerful welcome awaited us, and a bustle of activity. By the time I had staged plants and put up my exhibit, judging was well on, and there was just time for a quick dash round the plant sales before I needed to start the photography. Some years this show is dominated by snowdrops, sometimes by dionysias, and sometimes by cyclamen. Some years there have been wonderful specimens of Adonis, or Daphne calcicola. This year was the year of the crocus. That meant a frenzy of activity, for the crocuses were at their best mid-morning, and I wanted to photograph them before they closed up again, or reflexed and looked tired.

Crocus reticulatus ssp. hittiticus

I started with this tiny potful from the new or rare classes, exhibited by Robert Rolfe, as the judges were still sorting out the major awards, and might want the bigger pots.

Crocus reticulatus ssp. hittiticus
Crocus kerndorffiorum HKEP9010

Also from Robert Rolfe, and in the same 3 plant class.

Crocus kerndorffiorum HKEP9010
Crocus baytopiorum

Moving on to some slightly larger pans, this one entered by Jim McGregor.

Crocus baytopiorum
Crocus cvijicii

Exhibited by Joy Bishop

Crocus cvijicii
Crocus biflorus ssp. nubigena

This was a familiar plant ? Robert Rolfe has exhibited it here for several years; this was probably the best it has been, and the best photo.

Crocus biflorus ssp. nubigena
Romulea zahnii

Breaking up the sequence of crocuses, this Romulea was exhibited by Bob and Rannveig Wallis. Again, best photographed as soon as possible.

Romulea zahnii
Crocus Midas Touch

By now, judging had finished, and I could start work on the largest pans. This was exhibited by Ian Robertson, and given an Award of Merit and a Cultural Commendation by the JRGC.

Crocus Midas Touch
Crocus etruscus

Exhibited by Jim McGregor, and given a Certificate of Merit (and a Cultural Commendation by the JRGC).

Crocus etruscus
Crocus herbertii

Exhibited by Don Peace

Crocus herbertii
Crocus sieberi v. tricolor

Exhibited by Paul and Gill Ranson

Crocus sieberi v. tricolor
Crocus rujanensis

Exhibited by Ian Robertson

Crocus rujanensis
Crocus kosaninii

Also exhibited by Ian Robertson

Crocus kosaninii
Crocus malyi

Exhibited by Joy Bishop

Crocus malyi
Narcissus asturiensis

The first panic was now over; most of the crocuses had been snapped, and I moved on to the other award winners at the show. This lovely pan of daffodils came from Eric Jarrett, and was given a Certificate of Merit.

Narcissus asturiensis
Corydalis popovii

Exhibited by Robert Rolfe, and also awarded a Certificate of Merit. Before I had to carry it around the hall, I hadn?t realised this was scented. Unfortunately, it is not an entirely appealing aroma.

Corydalis popovii
Iris winogradowii

Exhibited by John Dixon, this was awarded a First Class Certificate by the JRGC, but missed out on the show awards.

Iris winogradowii
Oxalis versicolor

A fine panful from Joy Bishop. Not an award winner, but one I wanted to photograph early before the flowers closed and reverted to their barbers-pole stripes.

Oxalis versicolor
Narcissus romieuxii

From Don and Heather Hyde, awarded a Certificate of Merit

Narcissus romieuxii
Galanthus plicatus Sophie North

Don Peace won the Galanthus Goblet with this (for him small) pan of Sophie North. I expect we might see more pans at the Early Spring show in 10 days time.

Galanthus plicatus Sophie North
Cyclamen coum f. album

Exhibited by Ian Robertson, and winning the Cyclamen Society Salver.

Cyclamen coum f. album

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

This discussion Thread: South Wales Show 16th Feb 2013 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion