Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: South Wales Show 2016

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 18 February 2016, 23:17. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 14 February 2016, 23:02top / bottom of page

Sorry - I started and then got interrupted.  We may not have seen much of winter yet, but February is half gone, and I am still doing show photography at some of the AGS shows, so I arrived early at the Caerleon Show on Saturday.  I would say bright and early, but it wasn't - cold and grey, with persistent drizzle for much of the day.  The drive along the M4 to get there was miserable, 2 degrees C with the drizzle threatening to turn into sleet, and constant spray; the return journey was worse, and I hope everyone got home safely.  Despite the weather, there was enough light coming in the window to make my reflector useable, and I didn't have to resort to artificial light.

Crocus sieberi var tricolor

As always at this show, I started with the crocuses, hoping to capture them before they overreflexed, or crumpled, but a few escaped me.  Unlike some of the other plants, they seem to have kept reasonably well to their normal season.  There were mutterings about the identity of some of them, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with crocuses to do anything other than present them with the name they were exhibited under.

This familiar plant was from Bob and Rannveig Wallis' AGS medal winning small six-pan exhibit - more later.

Crocus sieberi var tricolor
Crocus cvijicii

I photograph this every year at Caerleon, and it performed right on cue again for Ivor Betteridge.

Crocus cvijicii
Crocus biflorus subsp nubigena

Another regular at the Caerleon show, this time from Robert Rolfe.

Crocus biflorus subsp nubigena
Crocus dalmaticus

Exhibited by Ian Robertson

Crocus dalmaticus
Crocus etruscus ex Corsica

A rather untypical form of C. etruscus exhibited by Ian Robertson.

Crocus etruscus ex Corsica
Crocus vernus subsp napolitanus

Again exhibited by Ian Robertson

Crocus vernus subsp napolitanus
Crocus sieberi Ronald Ginns

Another old familiar from this show, here exhibited by Lee and Julie Martin.

Crocus sieberi Ronald Ginns
Crocus pestalozzae

Exhibited by George Elder

Crocus pestalozzae
Crocus herbertii

Exhibited by Don Peace

Crocus herbertii
Crocus olivieri balansae Zwanenburg

David Richards produced a nice 3-pan exhibit including this crocus and the following one.  I rather liked the two-tone effect here.

Crocus olivieri balansae Zwanenburg
Crocus chrysanthus Golden Sonne

A really lovely cultivar of C. chrysanthus, exhibited by David Richards.

Crocus chrysanthus Golden Sonne
Crocus malyi

Always one of the most lovely crocuses, exhibited by Bob Worsley.

Crocus malyi
Crocus imperati subsp suaveolens

A charming plant, with the feathering on the back of the petals, exhibited by Roy Skidmore.

Crocus imperati subsp suaveolens
Crocus pelistericus

Another plant I always photograph at this show, here exhibited by Ian Robertson, with buds struggling out through the day as the hall warmed up.

Crocus pelistericus
Iris pamphylica

After the crocuses, I turn to the irises, which this year included some of the stars of the show.  This wonderfully delicate, demanding bulbous iris I have normally photographed in mid to late March, yet here it was, with as many flowers as I have ever seen on it, exhibited by Colin and Elain Barr, and winning a Certificate of Merit.  No apologies for including several photos.

Iris pamphylica

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

This discussion Thread: South Wales Show 2016 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion