Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: SOUTHPORT AGS SHOW 18th May 2013

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Cliff Booker

Go to latest contribution by Ian Instone, 20 May 2013, 17:28. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Cliff Booker 18 May 2013, 17:52top / bottom of page
Just back from another magnificent AGS Show

Just back from another superb AGS Show, this time at Southport in Lancashire. The threatened persistent heavy rain was replaced by intermittent drizzle and even this didn't deter hardy exhibitors from filling the hall with colour, foliage, sights and scents. The benches were resplendent with plants of every hue and the judges must have agonised over every decision.

Southport welcomed visitors from north of the border, who came and saw and conquered. Cyril Lafong journeyed south with a car full of magnificent plants and stole the show with his beautiful Daphne jezoensis, which took the Farrer Medal for 'Best Exhibit in the Show', while he stole my heart with an incredible pan of Cypripedium 'Ursel' (fasciolatum x henryi).

Many thanks and hearty congratulations to Roger Beecham, his tireless team of helpers and, especially, to the few who worked all day in the kitchens providing sustaining teas and coffees. Your efforts were greatly appreciated.

Another magnificent show that demonstrates the overwhelming beauty of our special mountain plants.

Cyril Lafong and his beautiful Farrer Medal winning Daphne jezoensis.

Cyril's superb Cypripedium 'Ursel'

Close-up

Lewisia benches

Three-pan colour

Just back from another magnificent AGS Show

Contribution from Cliff Booker 18 May 2013, 20:59top / bottom of page

Apologies to Cyril and all ... the Farrer Medal winning exhibit was in fact Daphne calcicola and not as stated above. Many thanks to George Young for the kind correction. I have booked a one way flight to Bora-Bora and will disappear off the alpine radar for at least twelve months or until the ignominy subsides.

Contribution from Ian Instone 20 May 2013, 17:28top / bottom of page

Thanks Cliff for your pictures from the show, yes there were some excellent plants on show. Unfortunately I forgot my camera to take some pictures of the 'B' and 'C' section, as I usually do. I tried using the camera on my mobile phone and the results are shown below. A rather poor quality set of pictures but perhaps better than nothing.

This discussion Thread: SOUTHPORT AGS SHOW 18th May 2013 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion