Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: SOUTHPORT AGS SHOW 17th MAY 2008

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: CLIFF BOOKER

Congratulations to Roger Beecham and his dedicated team for another magnificent Southport Show and heartiest congratulations to Roger on scooping the Farrer Medal for his magnificent pan of Physoplexis comosa.

Go to latest contribution by Cliff Booker, 22 May 2008, 07:58. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 3:    1   2   (3)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Cliff Booker 21 May 2008, 10:34top / bottom of page

Pyrethrum leontopodium exhibited by Rod and Shirley Johnson

A very proud Farrer Medal winner; Roger Beecham

George Young's lovely Armeria maritima

...And finally...another shot of Ian Leslie's magnificent Celmisia philocremna. A superb show with some magnificent plants.

Contribution from John Humphries 22 May 2008, 07:32top / bottom of page

Cliff, Brilliant photographs as ever, thank you.

How would you like to give me some tips for photographing the exhibit at Chelsea in the dull light in the Floral Pavilion!!

Many thanks, John H

Contribution from Cliff Booker 22 May 2008, 07:58top / bottom of page

No problem John! Image taking in three easy lessons 1) All my shots are taken without a tripod so the first essential is to create a ledge above your navel that can easily accommodate a swivel-lens camera (I still use an old 3.4 megapixel Nikon 995 for all show photographs)... this can be accomplished by sustained consumption of Newcastle Brown ale, doughnuts, mushy peas and sticky toffee pudding (but - please - not together). 2) Learn to point and shoot whilst holding your breath (extremely difficult at most show venues as friendly exhibitors constantly wish to discuss their beautiful entries, their latest ailments, their imminent treks to outlandish alpine outposts and the parental background of the judges). 3) A large proportion of my images are taken on 'auto' - (Nikon take ALL the credit), though I do override the flash when an 'arty' moment occurs! Lighting CAN be very tricky in a number of our show venues and I suggest that Nikon visit as many as possible before releasing their next little gem. Hope this helps John (I know it won't), but the best piece of advice is take three or four shots of each subject thereby giving yourself a glimmer of hope. Best wishes. Cliff

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 3:    1   2   (3)   previous

This discussion Thread: SOUTHPORT AGS SHOW 17th MAY 2008 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion