Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: SOUTH WEST SHOW-Exeter 27 March 2010

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: David Nicholson

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 29 March 2010, 16:53. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from David Nicholson 27 March 2010, 20:46top / bottom of page

Just had chance for a quick meal after my return from Exeter. A first class Show with full benches and many thanks to joint Show Secretaries Di and Bob Dark and their team of helpers for all their hard work.

Just one image tonight of Lee and Julie Martin's beautiful Farrer winning Trillium rivale. This plant was one component in their cracking three pan entry in Class 2.

Many more images to come tomorrow (none of which will be of the JE standard!) but I'm tired after being on my pins all day. Also, having commandeered the car for the day and thus committing Mrs N to day on her own (without a shopping opportunity-and here on the end of the known world we don't have things like public transport!) I'm bound to play the dutiful husband for the rest of the evening.

Enjoy:-

Contribution from Jon Evans 28 March 2010, 21:22top / bottom of page
Award Plants

It seems likely that it will be a couple of days before the full results of the South West Show can be posted.

In the meantime, here are the main award winners. It may be that Jim will remove the pictures from here to the Show Gallery when the results are posted.

AGS Medal Class 1

6 pans rock plants distinct, exhibited by David Hoare

AGS Medal Class 1
AGS Medal Class 40

6 pans rock plants distinct, not more than two of any one genus

exhibited by Eric Jarrett

AGS Medal Class 40
Veitch Trophy

Class 59 - 3 pans bulbous plants distinct - Bob and Rannveig Wallis

Veitch Trophy
AGS Spoon Class 80

6 pans rock plants distinct, exhibited by Tony Hale

AGS Spoon Class 80
Certificate of Merit

Anemone biflora, exhibited by Ivor Betteridge

Certificate of Merit
Certificate of Merit

Fritillaria crassifolia ssp. crassifolia, exhibited by Bob and Rannveig Wallis

Certificate of Merit
Certificate of Merit

Dionysia 'Andreas' exhibited by Paul and Gill Ranson

Certificate of Merit
Otter Trophy

Best plant in Novice Section - Narcissus bulbocodium ssp. obesus 'Lee Martin's Form' exhibited by Mike Quest

Otter Trophy
Dartington Trophy

Most first prize points in Novice Section - Awarded to Richard Horswood (here is his Primula allionii Hartside No 5).

Dartington Trophy
Cornwall Trophy

Best plant in Intermediate Section - Dionysia curviflora JRD-A3 exhibited by Peter Summers

Cornwall Trophy
Dartmoor Trophy

Most first prize points in Intermediate Section - Awarded to Tony Hale (here is his Saxifraga 'Icicle').

Dartmoor Trophy
East Devon Trophy

Best plant in a 19cm pot - Dionysia 'Geist' exhibited by Paul and Gill Ranson.

East Devon Trophy
Peter Edwards Memorial Trophy

Most first prize points in Primulaceae classes - Awarded to Paul and Gill Ranson

Here is their winning entry in Class 43 - 3 pans rock plants any one genus.

Peter Edwards Memorial Trophy
Exeter Trophy

Most first prize points in Open Section - Awarded to Paul and Gill Ranson

Here is their winning entry in Class 9 - 3 pans rock plants Androsace or Dionysia, distinct.

Exeter Trophy
Farrer Medal

Trillium rivale exhibited by Lee and Julie Martin

Farrer Medal

More pictures of the supporting cast to follow when I have had a chance to sort them out. After a very long and tiring day on Saturday, I have been out all day today, and have only just got a chance to look at these pictures.

My thanks to Bob and Di Dark, and their large band of helpers, for organising such an excellent show, and making it such a pleasant day. Particular thanks to my photographer's assistant for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

Contribution from Judy Rhymes 28 March 2010, 21:56top / bottom of page

Lovely photos, thank you, Jon.

I didn't manage to get down to Exeter this year (no plants worth putting on the show bench), but missed a treat by the look of it.

I bet David was thankful you didn't take your two nieces to Exeter to test out the seating arrangements!

Contribution from David Nicholson 29 March 2010, 15:12top / bottom of page

Don't want to steal Jon's thunder so just a few from me to be going on with.

First a couple of the Show Hall. It's a lovely venue with lots of natural light and shows the plants off to a treat. Makes the exhibitors lok quite good too! In the first one Lee Martin poses in pre-Farrer contemplation.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

This discussion Thread: SOUTH WEST SHOW-Exeter 27 March 2010 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion