Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Primula edelbergii PC

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Richard Wilford

Go to latest contribution by John Richards, 16 March 2008, 11:02. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Richard Wilford 14 March 2008, 13:55top / bottom of page
Primula edelbergii 11 March 2008

Kew sent Primula edelbergii to the Rock Garden Plant Committee at the RHS London Show on 11 March. It received a Preliminary Commendation. This species comes from Afghanistan and is in section Sphodylia, along with P. verticillata and P. floribunda. The golden yellow flowers are held in whorls on the stem, which can reach 30 cm tall.

Primula edelbergii 11 March 2008

...I meant section Sphondylia!

Contribution from John Richards 16 March 2008, 11:02top / bottom of page
Primula edelbergii

Thank you Richard for the pictures of Primula edelbergii. This is probably the most hardy of the Sphondylias and has survived -9C here under glass planted out in the plunge (with some damage!). It has only beed found twice in the wild, in two gorges in eastern Afghanistan. I doubt if it will be reintroduced for a bit! As will be clear from the photos this is only one of three Sphondylias primulas that is heterostylous (pins and thrums). However, it is quite self-fertile, but only sets seed when pollination is achieved, i.e. the distance from the anthers to the stigma is too great for automatic self-pollination. John Richards

This discussion Thread: Primula edelbergii PC - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion