Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Plants from the London Show 26-27 March 2013

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 10 April 2013, 16:36. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 29 March 2013, 21:50top / bottom of page

The AGS London Show took place this week as part of the RHS Great London Plant Fair. I was hoping that one of the many people walking round with a camera would post some images, but no one has, so you will have to make do with the few snaps I was able to fit in whilst running the show. I wasn't show photographer this time, as I had other responsibilities, and by Wednesday when I took the pictures of plants I was so exhausted I could barely stand up, so don't expect too much.

I have just posted shots of the art classes; now for the plants. Be aware these were taken on Wednesday afternoon when many of the plants had been in the relatively warm dry atmosphere of the show hall for 48 hours.

I haven't recovered enough since the show to try to produce anything imaginative by way of ordering, or much by way of commentary, but here is a brief glimpse in alphabetical order for those who couldn't make it.

Small 6 pan - Royal Bank of Scotland Trophy

After the difficult spring we have had, there were no entries for the large 6-pan class, but Cecilia Coller was able to produce a magnificent small 6-pan entry.

Small 6 pan - Royal Bank of Scotland Trophy
3 pans from seed

Ray Drew produced a disparate collection of unusual plants to win the class for 3 pans from seed. Hepatica insularis, Muscari coeleste and Iris pamphylica.

3 pans from seed
Anacamptis papilionacea ssp herooica

Barry Tattersall won a Certificate of Merit for this lovely pan of orchids - it drew a lot of attention from the public.

Anacamptis papilionacea ssp herooica
Anemone appenina

Exhibited by Andrew Ward. This is a plant we don't normally see at London; the combination of a late season and an early show meant that there was a dramatic change in the palette of plants on the bench.

Anemone appenina
Anemonella thalictrioides

Exhibited by Cecilia Coller. Cecilia always seems to have fine plants of this for this show.

Anemonella thalictrioides
Callianthemum kernerianum

Or perhaps anemonoides if the judges' note was correct. Grown from seed by Ray Drew.

Callianthemum kernerianum
Corydalis Beth Evans

It was a pleasant surprise to see the Farrer medal go to a common, but beautiful, garden plant, grown by Cecilia Coller. By the second day of the show, this was sadly dropping some of its blooms.

Corydalis Beth Evans

Beth Evans is of course a cleaner and more delicate pink than that, but the lights at this end of the hall were doing horrible things to photographs.

Corydalis hybrid Perfumed

Grown from seed and exhibited by Ray Drew.

Corydalis hybrid Perfumed
Corydalis makaschvilii

Showing variation when grown from seed by Cecilia Coller.

Corydalis makaschvilii
Corydalis tauricola

Exhibited by Cecilia Coller.

Corydalis tauricola
Cut Flowers

Six varieties of cut flowers from Dick and Valerie Bathe. Most of the exhibitors in this class had to find their flowers in the snow.

Cut Flowers
Cyclamen persicum

Exhibited by Barbara Chapman in the Novice section. The big pans of cyclamen we saw at London last year weren't there this time, perhaps because the Cyclamen Society Spring Show follows our show this year instead of preceding it.

Cyclamen persicum
Cymbidium goeringii var. goeringii

An orchid from Ray Drew

Cymbidium goeringii var. goeringii

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

This discussion Thread: Plants from the London Show 26-27 March 2013 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion