Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Pershore Show

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 21 July 2008, 16:01. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 16 July 2008, 20:51top / bottom of page
A few more pictures from the show

I was helping Doug Joyce with the show photography. Here are a few plants which found their way onto the photography table while Doug was at lunch. First, Petrocosmea kerrii exhibited by Cecilia Coller.

A few more pictures from the show
Ourisia bitternensis Cliftonville AppleBlossom

Another hybrid raised and exhibited by Martin and Anna Sheader. This one could almost be a Primula allionii.

Ourisia bitternensis Cliftonville AppleBlossom
Graptopetalum bellum

I guess many of us still remember this as Tacitus bellus. Exhibited by Joy Bishop

Graptopetalum bellum
Eucomis vandermerwei

The first of two specimens from this South African genus, this was exhibited by Martin and Anna Sheader

Eucomis vandermerwei
Triteleia laxa Dexter

Bob and Rannveig Wallis brought two (or three ?) pots of this Triteleia in perfect condition.

Triteleia laxa Dexter
Caiophora aconguijae

Now a few pictures taken around the benches in dismal lighting. This was Martin and Anna Sheader's entry in New or Rare - I hope noone got stung!

Caiophora aconguijae
Runner up in the six pan class

was this fine exhibit from Cecilia Coller.

Runner up in the six pan class
Campanula hierapetrae

I thought this campanula was attractive and less familiar than many. I'm sorry I didn't record the exhibitor. Lots of flowers still to come.

Campanula hierapetrae
Eucomis autumnalis ssp. amaryllidiflora

Now the second Eucomis. I think this was probably the heaviest exhibit in the room, hauled in by Bob and Rannveig Wallis.

Eucomis autumnalis ssp. amaryllidiflora
Saxifraga

The last plant from the show bench, glowing from the dingiest corner of the hall - a saxifrage, but for some reason I didn't record details of the plant or the exhibitor - perhaps I was distracted.

Saxifraga
Campanula Elizabeth Oliver

While I was at Pershore for the show, I took a stroll round the garden at the AGS Centre. This campanula was waiting to greet people as they walked in.

Campanula Elizabeth Oliver
Allium

Now a pretty pink allium, but with no label I could find. Can anyone tell me what it is ?

Allium
Berkheya purpurea

One of my favourite plants, though not exactly dwarf, but sadly impermanent for me. I need to find a way to introduce more drainage into my clay for the winter months.

Berkheya purpurea
Digitalis sp.

Lastly, one of the highlights of the garden were these foxgloves, some a good 8 feet high. Which species is this ?

Digitalis sp.
Digitalis closeup
Digitalis closeup

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 16 July 2008, 21:29top / bottom of page

Thanks Jon, you beat me to it. It's not often on this forum you have to queue to make a contribution! I've only got a few left which don't needlessly repeat what you've posted, thanks for saving my typing fingers Below we have Sempervivum montana Bloodtips, Erigeron Canary Bird and the Farrer plant, Epipactis palustris

Contribution from John Richards 19 July 2008, 11:51top / bottom of page
Digitalis ferruginea

Hi Jon, The Pershore garden Dig is D. ferruginea. The spreading rounded white-rimmed sepals like little ears are diagnostic. This tall subalpine was introduced into the garden from MESE seed in 2000 and has maintained by self-sowing here and in my own garden ever since.

Contribution from Jon Evans 21 July 2008, 16:01top / bottom of page
Digitalis ferruginea

Thanks John It is very beautiful. I shall have to look out for it on the seed distribution next year.

This discussion Thread: Pershore Show - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion