Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Pershore Show 1st July

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Martin Rogerson

Go to latest contribution by Lawrence Peet, 06 July 2017, 19:30. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 8 of 8:    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   (8)   previous

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 05 July 2017, 11:21top / bottom of page
Scutellaria suffrutescens Texas Rose

This lipstick pink scutellaria exhibited by Vic and Jan Aspland makes a good garden plant in a gravel bed or something similar.

Scutellaria suffrutescens Texas Rose
Digitalis nana

One of the things I love about this show is that we regularly see miniature species of foxglove, this one exhibited by Alan Newton.

Digitalis nana
Thymus cilicicus

Another summer favourite, here exhibited by Martin and Anna Sheader.

Thymus cilicicus
Gentiana syringea

An annual gentian, exhibited by Paul and Gill Ranson, but a plant I will always associate with Cecilia Coller, who grew it so well.

Gentiana syringea
Hypoxis membranacea

Finally, what became of the three plants I managed to take with me to the show.  This hypoxis wasn't helped by the lack of light in the hall - all the flowers were open like little stars in sunshine the day before, and the day after - and I imagine the judges felt it was too leafy.

Hypoxis membranacea
x Rhodoxis Hebron Farm Cerise

However, my big pan of x Rhodoxis won a first in the class for one rock plant - the first one for me in the open section since 2014.  I am now officially more than halfway to my gold medal; just 12 more to go !

x Rhodoxis Hebron Farm Cerise

Thanks to everyone who worked hard to make this show happen, to all the exhibitors who brought plants, to Ian Instone for taking and posting the views of the show on the first page, and above all to Mike and Janet for giving me a lift.  It was unfortunate that after the excellent bacon rolls, there was nothing available for lunch except cake (let them eat cake), but I'm sure that is something that can be sorted out; I will make a mental note to bring sandwiches next year.

Contribution from Paul Ranson 05 July 2017, 11:35top / bottom of page

Excellent report as ever Jon. How frustrating to have to leave so many plants at home particularly as there were some classes where flowering plants were sadly lacking.

You are correct in thinking that Campanula Blue Pearls is  myrtifolia x asperuloides. It, and the plant exhibited by Martin and Anna in Class 2 are siblings and there are others. Blue Pearls is the only one commercially available (Aberconwy) although Martin thinks some of the others warrant wider distribution. To keep them compact like Martin and Anna's he told me they need to be grown hard or you end up with a halo effect.

You are also correct in suggesting that C. Joan Beeston is a raineri hybrid, raised by Aberconwy.

Contribution from Martin Sheader 05 July 2017, 13:44top / bottom of page

Thanks John, excellent images as usual - a very colourful and enjoyable show, despite the poor lighting. I understand we will be back to the revamped brighter venue next year. Paul is correct - we have a number of good C. myrtifolia x C.asperuloides  hybrids, including 'Blue Pearl'. Of course, all were in perfect bloom about a week before the show, pushed on by the hot weather two weeks ago and so were going over rapidly by last weekend.

Contribution from Lawrence Peet 05 July 2017, 19:15top / bottom of page

As always a great report John, whilst I had plants at the show I was unable to attend, so nice to see such a comprehensive record.

Paul or Martin could you elaborate a little more when you refer to growing C. Blue Pearls " hard" to avoid the halo effect. My own plant of C. myrtifolia ( one of the parents) is displaying similar symptoms ( please see photo), should this to be grown hard?

Many of my Campanulas despite looking healthy and showing masses of flower bud are still some way of flowering inc. C. asperuloides and C. waldsteiniana, is this due primarily to how far north I am (Harrogate) or is there something culturally I should be doing?

Ps apologies for vearing from the original topic of shows

Contribution from Martin Sheader 05 July 2017, 20:13top / bottom of page

Lawrence, there are a number of reasons why Campanula myrtifolia and its hybrids develop an open centre at flowering.

1. Different seedlings /clones of C. myrtifolia  and its hybrids have different growth forms. Some form mats or loose low "cushions", others form tight domes at flowering with no real effort on the part of the grower.

2. Young plants in their first couple of years tend to grow loose but tighten up with age.

3. Once plants have reached a good size, then don't repot, or repot every 2-4 years. In some years you might change some of the compost by removing surface grit after growth starts in spring and replace the top inch or so of compost, then regrit. This results in tighter growth. The compost should be open and gritty.

4. If feeding in spring, use half strength high potassium / low nitrogen feed.

Hope this helps.     

Contribution from Lawrence Peet 06 July 2017, 19:30top / bottom of page

Thanks very much Martin, very helpful.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 8 of 8:    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   (8)   previous

This discussion Thread: Pershore Show 1st July - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion