Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Pershore Show 1st July

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Martin Rogerson

Go to latest contribution by Lawrence Peet, 06 July 2017, 19:30. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 5 of 8:    1   2   3   4   (5)   6   7   8   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 05 July 2017, 10:56top / bottom of page
Epipactis palustris

Brian and Shelagh Smethurst showed a fine pan of the normal (tall) form of our native Marsh Helleborine, Epipactis palustris.

Epipactis palustris
Disa hybrid

Less favoured by the judges were two Disa hybrids, exhibited by Anne Vale and Paddy Parmee respectively.  I think these get marked down because they are the product of extensive hybridisation, like show auriculas, and because the judges have doubts over their hardiness, though the exhibitors were adamant that both would survive light frost.  Disa species and natural hybrids tend to be more acceptable to the judges.  Without the responsibility of judging them as an entry in an alpine show, I can only say that both were beautiful and I am very glad the exhibitors brought them.

Disa hybrid
Anoectochilus formosanus

I have photographed this little asian orchid exhibited by Alan Newton before, but as a foliage plant, so it was interesting to see the flowers.  This comes from Taiwan, some of the Japanese islands, and parts of mainland China; I very much doubt whether it is any hardier than the Disas.

Anoectochilus formosanus
Neottianthe cucullata var calcicola

Alan Newton staged the Anoectochilus in a three-pan exhibit with this lovely, tiny orchid from the Himalayas, which seems to be much less common in cultivation.  No more than two inches tall, but seen through the close-up lens it was beautiful.

Neottianthe cucullata var calcicola
Orobanche hederae

This is not an orchid, though it is similar to some, but our native Ivy Broomrape.  This plant is completely parasitic on ivy, and it was fascinating to see it grown in a pot (with an ivy plant) by Neil Hubbard.

Orobanche hederae
Sarracenias

Ben Parmee brought many carnivorous plants to the show, including a nice three pan exhibit of sarracenias.

Sarracenias
Sarracenia cv Juthatip Soper

Exhibited by Ben Parmee

Sarracenia cv Juthatip Soper
Sarracenia cv Tygo

Exhibited by Ben Parmee

Sarracenia cv Tygo
Sarracenia x moorei

Exhibited by Ben Parmee

Sarracenia x moorei
Drosera binata Marston Dragon

Ben Parmee's carnivorous plants weren't all sarracenias.  This sundew attracted the attention of the show reporter.

Drosera binata Marston Dragon
Cephalotus follicularis

One final carnivorous plant, again from Ben Parmee, with little pitcher traps hidden amongst the moss.

Cephalotus follicularis

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 5 of 8:    1   2   3   4   (5)   6   7   8   previous   next

This discussion Thread: Pershore Show 1st July - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion