Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Pershore Show 2010

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 10 August 2010, 16:43. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 12 July 2010, 14:46top / bottom of page

The morning of the Pershore dawned bright and still, at the end of a hot sticky week, and indeed, a hot sticky night. When Doug Joyce and I were preparing to do the photography (outside in a little porch area) we were concerned whether we would need to use a reflector as a sunshade, and trying to avoid leaving our cameras in the hot sun. Later, when we started taking pictures, a strong breeze had got up, which brought complications, but by lunchtime that had dropped again, and we had light cloud cover and almost perfect light.

In the show hall there were surprisingly few large pots; sometimes at Pershore we see huge pans of campanulas, but they were not in evidence this year. Still, I wasn?t too sad about that; besides, there was a wide selection of good and interesting plants in smaller pots.

Cecilia Coller

Once again, the open aggregate went to Cecilia Coller. She is still managing to bring a wide selection of interesting plants to support the show, despite the obvious discomfort from her hip, and I was very glad to see several people helping her to take her plants back out to the van at the end of the show.

Cecilia?s success was built upon a wonderful, winning entry in the small 6-pan class. Jim McGregor has posted a photo of the full entry in the formal show photo gallery; here are some of the individual plants.

Nierembergia pulchella

Cecilia has been exhibiting this for a few years at the summer shows. Originally it came from seed from Jim Archibald; presumably she collects and sows seed each year as it looks decidedly annual.

Nierembergia pulchella
Anagallis tenella Studland

Cecilia staged two pans of this old favourite.

Anagallis tenella Studland

Also in the 6-pan exhibit were Petrocosmea kerrii, and a lovely short form of Platycodon, P. grandiflorus Sentimental.

The third plant here is Adenophora uehatae, from one of the large pan classes.

Cyrtanthus brachyscyphus

There were several plants of this on the bench; Cecilia?s was one of the best.

Cyrtanthus brachyscyphus
Digitalis dubia

Ivor Betteridge was also exhibiting. I spotted this foxglove, which I have photographed before several times, but I am very pleased to have at last taken some pictures which do it justice.

Accompanying it is the unusual Australian (?) shrub, Melaleuca thymifolia.

Digitalis dubia
Scutellaria suffrutescens Texas Rose

There were several examples of this on the bench, none quite fully open. This is Ivor?s which we thought was probably furthest along.

Scutellaria suffrutescens Texas Rose

Finally, Ivor got a well-deserved first for this lovely pan of Thymus cilicicus.

Androcymbium striatum

In previous years, this South African bulb has been awarded the Glebelands Trophy for the weirdest plant. This year it was definitely not the wierdest, but won a Certificate of Merit for George Elder.

Androcymbium striatum

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

This discussion Thread: Pershore Show 2010 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion