Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: North of England Show 2009

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Mel Linney, 28 April 2009, 21:30. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 25 April 2009, 22:17top / bottom of page

I would like to thank Jim for getting the results, and some pictures, up on the website so quickly after the show.

Some terrific plants again - congratulations to all the exhibitors and in particular to Ivan Pinnick.

I thought the Ramonda nathaliae would be in with a chance this weekend when I photographed it, not fully out, at the Midland Show. But I didn't really expect that Ivan and the Ramonda would manage to get up to Harrogate; it almost makes you wonder whether they ever went back to Cowes between the two shows.

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 26 April 2009, 09:41top / bottom of page

I too would like to congratulate both Ivan on his first Farrer Medal with an absolutely stunning plant and Jim for loading the results onto the website before I got home from the show! He was spotted with laptop in the show hall preparing the updates but, and I can say this because I'm one too, being a Scotsman with Yorkshire connections he wasn't keen to pay for a Wi-Fi connection to get it loaded......He clearly caved in and spent the money!

If the weather turns bad I might manage to load some pictures today, although I've been told I'm going wallpaper shopping!

Contribution from Shelagh Smethurst 26 April 2009, 15:01top / bottom of page
Musings towards the end of the Harrogate Show

In a quiet 5 minutes towards the end of the Show Carol K and I, after observing 2 earing bedecked and tattoo covered gentlemen surveying the benches agreed that we felt quite naked these days being about the only ones in the world who were not sporting a tattoo. A Gentian Rampant might be the answer, but where should it be placed? After that we got a bit hysterical wondering if we could introduce a Class into the Schedules for this, would it be judged by size or artistic endeavour, rarity of specimen chosen or quality of top dressing.Luckily at this point Jim started the awards so we calmed down. But the idea has been sown!!!

Contribution from Mel Linney 26 April 2009, 20:06top / bottom of page
Thanks to Jim and Norma.

We would like to thank Jim McGregor and Norma Pagdin for helping and assisting us to donate The Mr & Mrs W. H. Nortcliffe Memorial Trophy to the North of England Show.

Once again thank you for all your help,

Mel & Elaine Linney.

Contribution from Mel Linney 27 April 2009, 21:25top / bottom of page

Ivan Pinnick travelled from Cowes on the Isle of Wight and won the Farrer Medal with this amazing Ramonda.

This slipper orchid won Brian Burrow 'The Mr & Mrs W.H. Nortcliffe Trophy for best plant in a 19cm pot and very nice too.

I thought this was a very nice set of Lewisias but didn't get the exhibitors name.

I will be posting pictures from the 'B & C' sections in due course.

Contribution from Elizabeth Maddock 28 April 2009, 00:03top / bottom of page

Another great show on Saturday, with some great plants. I indulged myself by taking photos mainly of personal favourites, so here they are.

First a colourful set of three pan entries

A dazzling Pleione from Georgina Instone
A dazzling Pleione from Georgina Instone
Primula elatior
Primula elatior
Jovibarba heuffelii from Paul Street

A particularly eyecatching example of a great genus

Jovibarba heuffelii from Paul Street
Dodecatheon media from Sue Flanagan
Dodecatheon media from Sue Flanagan
Primula Kusum Krishna
Primula Kusum Krishna
Primula Gold Lace

This is a really well grown plant, mine have never reached this size

Primula  Gold Lace
Zaluzianskya 'Orange Eyes' from Clare Dower

Mine might have been this good if I had watered it more

Zaluzianskya 'Orange Eyes' from Clare Dower
The Farrer medal winner, Ramonda Nathaliae
The Farrer medal winner, Ramonda Nathaliae
Soldanella hungarica from Wilma and Joe Wright
Soldanella hungarica from Wilma and Joe Wright
Erigeron aureus 'Canary Bird' from Peter Farkasch
Erigeron aureus 'Canary Bird' from Peter Farkasch
Sempervivums

No show would be complete, for me, without a good display of these. These were great!

Sempervivums
Cyclamen

First was Ivor Betteridge with his exquisite Silver leaved Cyclamen persicum, then Eric Rainford with a charming Cyclamen repandum Pelopennese, third place was lovely Cyclamen pseudibericum from Peter Hood

Cyclamen

George Young's 3 pan collection of new or rare plants in cultivation were wonderful but the best, for me, was the Delphinium. An outstanding plant with amazing hairy veined flowers, that were perfectly formed and like no Delphinium I have ever seen, I hope we see it again

Sedum oreganum from Ian Instone

This must a sight to see when it is in flower

Sedum oreganum from Ian Instone

This was a great show and full of some brilliant plants. I have not put any photos of Lewisias, but there were some dazzling examples there and I expect there will be a lot more in the weeks to come.

Shelagh, we will all be expecting to see your tatto next week, a Gentian, of course.

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 28 April 2009, 17:43top / bottom of page

Mel & Elizabeth, thanks for finding the time to post these images, mine are still lurking unprocessed for the non existent time to do something....And I can't hide my light under a bush anymore, that 3 pan Lewisia exhibit was mine and , despite the cheeky comments of several venerable judges the red one in the middle is my favourite!

Contribution from Mel Linney 28 April 2009, 21:08top / bottom of page
Plants from the B & C sections

I'll start with one of my own plants, or rather one of ours because, of course, my wife Elaine and I exhibit as a team. This Rhododendren helped us win 'The Carter Shield.

Plants from the B & C sections

Next is best plant in C section from Jack Green.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

This discussion Thread: North of England Show 2009 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion