Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Newcastle Show

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Alan Newton

The Newcastle Show will take place on Saturday 10th October 2015

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 14 October 2015, 18:20. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Alan Newton 06 September 2015, 20:33top / bottom of page
Newcastle Show

The Newcastle Show will take place on Saturday 10th October 2015
This is the first time an AGS/SRGC show has been held in a Garden Centre.

COWELL'S GARDEN CENTRE, MAIN ROAD, WOOLSINGTON, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, NE13 8BW

Nurseries attending will be = Aberconwy,  Hartside,    Buried Treasure, Choice Landscapes, Edom and Ryal nursery

All nurseries will be pleased to bring orders to the show.

Exhibitors please use second car park or the overflow parking.

PLANT SALES FROM 9am SHOW WILL OPEN AT 11-00am approx.

Admission is FREE. Refreshments, Tombola
ALL EXHIBITORS will receive a 10% discount voucher for Cowells Garden Centre.

We look forward to seeing you.

Alan Newton
Joint Show Sec

Contribution from Jon Evans 08 October 2015, 14:49top / bottom of page

For most of this year I have struggled to produce plants which are worthy of being put on the show bench in the Open section, and as a result I have made no impression on the 14 or so first I still need to get my Gold medal.

This week, for once, I have two plants which are worth exhibiting, and guess what - the show is in Newcastle and noone from my local group is going all the way up there.  So alas, the belles shall not go to the ball.  I can at least show you them here, so someone other than me gets to appreciate them.

Nothoscordum hirtellum

First up is this little bulb from South America, seldom seen on the show benches.  I was given 3 bulbs about 8 years ago, and it has taken ages to get to the point where I have a pot like this.  I was delighted this year because we have had two weeks of bright sunny weather while the buds were developing, and as a result they have stayed relatively compact - grey skies and they draw enormously and then flop.

Nothoscordum hirtellum
Nerine humilis ex Piekeniers Kloof

My second plant is this small and charming form of Nerine humilis, originally from a collection at Piekeniers Kloof.  This is noticeable more compact than any of the other forms of Nerine humilis I grow, but seems to be free flowering.

Nerine humilis ex Piekeniers Kloof

Contribution from Peter Maguire 10 October 2015, 20:20top / bottom of page
Forrest Medal winner

A first couple of photos from the Newcastle show, to show Keith and Rachel Lever's Gaultheria crassa 'John Saxton' which was awarded the Forrest Medal for best plant in show.

Forrest Medal winner

Can't find an obvious way to add tow photos to one message, so here's the second one.

More photos to follow tomorrow when I've recovered.......

Contribution from Lawrence Peet 11 October 2015, 19:05top / bottom of page

Ian Kidmans Galanthus peshmenii for further photographs please visit my blog: http://lawrencepeetalpines.com/2015/10/11/ags-srgc-newcastle-show-10th-october-2015/

Contribution from Ian Instone 11 October 2015, 22:10top / bottom of page

Below are some pictures I took at the show. Many thanks to everyone who helped to put on the event. It was much appreciated.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

This discussion Thread: Newcastle Show - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion