Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Midland AGS Show 2015

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Ian Instone, 20 April 2015, 09:43. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 5:    1   2   (3)   4   5   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 19 April 2015, 15:10top / bottom of page
Cyclamen x schwarzii

Finally, a large pan of C. x. schwarzii, also from Ian Robertson.

Cyclamen x schwarzii
Androsace vandellii ex Nuria

The early season Primulaceae are now being replaced by Androsace.  This large pan was exhibited by Alan and Janet Cook.

Androsace vandellii ex Nuria
Androsace villosa taurica

In the small pan classes, Geoff Rollinson had a lovely pan of A. villosa taurica.

Androsace villosa taurica
Benthamiella graminifolia

Eric Jarrett isn't finished yet.  This pan of B. graminifolia won a Certificate of Merit.

Benthamiella graminifolia
Anisotome imbricata

Don Peace had a really attractive pan of Anisotome imbricata, sown in May 2006.  One of the few times I have photographed it and it has actually looked alive, and not just an intricate mat of brown hairy leaves.

Cassiope Badenoch

Moving on from cushions to shrubs, this little cassiope was exhibited by Mark Lee in the Novice section.

Cassiope Badenoch
Cassiope mertensiana californica

In the Open section, Ian Kidman staged a small three pan exhibit of cassiopes, including this lovely plant.

Cassiope mertensiana californica
Cassiope lycopodioides

Also in Ian Kidman's three-pan exhibit was this C. lycopodioides which won the Edinburgh Quaich for the best pan of Ericaceae.  I'm sorry the photo makes it look as though someone has parked a bicycle in it.

Cassiope lycopodioides
x Kalmiothamnus Sindelberg

Also from Ian Kidman was this lovely Kalmiothamnus

x Kalmiothamnus Sindelberg
Boronia anemonifolia

John Savage staged this lovely Australian shrub I have never seen before.

Boronia anemonifolia
3 pans of Daphne

The new Blackthorn Trophy for 3 pans of Daphne went to Martin and Anna Sheader for this threesome: from left to right, D. modesta, D. petraea Lydora and D. petraea Vanguard.

3 pans of Daphne
Daphne modesta

Martin and Anna Sheader also won the small pan class for daphnes, with this slightly larger plant of D. modesta.

Daphne modesta
Daphne petraea Lydora

From the far end of the hall where the large pots lurk, this Daphne from Lionel Clarkson looks every inch a Farrer contender, from this side.  It certainly won my award for the heaviest pot of the day, and was the only one which fought me every foot of the way, desperate to go to ground.

Daphne petraea Lydora

Astragalus coccineus
Peter Farkasch's Astragalus, winner of the Farrer last week at Chesterfield, might also have been in contention on Saturday, had it not come up against the eventual winner in its class.

Sorry - there will be another interlude

Contribution from Jon Evans 19 April 2015, 15:40top / bottom of page
Hepatica nobilis var pyrenaica

Though the hepaticas are now over, Diane Clement used the fresh new leaves to good advantage in one of the foliage classes.

Hepatica nobilis var pyrenaica
Sanguinaria canadensis Multiplex

Diane Clement also staged several attractive pans of the double form of Bloodroot.

Sanguinaria canadensis Multiplex
Anemonella thalictrioides Oscar Schoaf

Don Peace seems to grow this woodlander to perfection; he had several pans of it.

Anemonella thalictrioides Oscar Schoaf

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 5:    1   2   (3)   4   5   previous   next

This discussion Thread: Midland AGS Show 2015 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion