Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Midland AGS Show 2015

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Ian Instone, 20 April 2015, 09:43. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 5:    1   (2)   3   4   5   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 19 April 2015, 14:59top / bottom of page
Iris bucharica

The Crataegus Trophy for the best plant in the Intermediate Section went to this large plant of Iris bucharica, exhibited by Roy Skidmore.

Iris bucharica
Small 6-pan

At every show there comes a point where I have to abandon my 'studio', and go and photograph exhibits in situ.  The winner of the AGS medal for the small six pan class was Don Peace.

Small 6-pan
Exhibit of Needlework

Out in the entrance hall was an exhibit of needlework by Jean Morris, which was given a Large Gold Award.

Exhibit of Needlework
Dionysia Adrastea PMR/JM97120/49/0209

We are approaching the end of the season for dionysias, but there were still a few in good condition.  This one from Paul and Gill Ranson, the largest, was in contention for the Farrer medal.

Dionysia Adrastea PMR/JM97120/49/0209
Dionysia Lauren

This smaller hybrid from Paul and Gill Ranson appealed to me because of the distance the flowers are held from the foliage - presumably D.microphylla blood in there.

Dionysia Lauren
Dionysia caespitosa

That man Eric Jarrett was given a Certificate of Merit for this plant of D. caespitosa.

Dionysia caespitosa
Dionysia caespitosa x gaubae

Eric Jarrett also exhibited a fine hybrid between D. caespitosa and D. gaubae.

Dionysia caespitosa x gaubae
Primula Adrian Evans

It is also getting late in the season for European primulas, but there were still a few looking good, including two raised by my stepfather David Philbey.  First, P. Adrian Evans, named for my brother, and exhibited here by Peter Summers.  Adrian Evans is recognized as a good garden plant in the northern half of England; in the southern half of England it is somewhat tricky to maintain, even in a pot.

Primula Adrian Evans
Primula allionii Matthew Evans

The second of David Philbey's primulas was the slow growing P. allionii cultivar Matthew Evans, exhibited by Tommy Anderson.  The plant shown is probably 7-8 years old.  My nephew Matthew is now a sporty, somewhat rebellious teenager, who has recently discovered girls, hair, and all manner of vices; the plant continues to be a tight, slow growing clone which dazzles in flower.

Primula allionii Matthew Evans
Primula (allionii x carniolica) x albenensis

Brian Burrow exhibited this complex hybrid.

Primula (allionii x carniolica) x albenensis
Primula henrici

This pan of P. henrici exhibited by Eric Jarrett attracted a huge amount of interest from everyone except the judges.  We are used to seeing the flowers open white, and fade to pink; here they have gone a long way beyond that, to a most striking effect.

Primula henrici
Primula aureata

The Midland Primula Bowl for the best primula was contested between two plants of P. aureata, both exhibited by Don Peace.  The vote went to the plant with multiple rosettes on the right, causing much debate throughout the day.

Primula aureata
Cyclamen pseudibericum

Ian Robertson staged a fine large pan of Cyclamen pseudibericum.  I don't know why it is that when I photograph cyclamen I sometimes get these white highlights on the petals; they don't look like that in real life.

Cyclamen pseudibericum
Cyclamen repandum

Ian Robertson also exhibited this small neat Cyclamen repandum.

Cyclamen repandum

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 5:    1   (2)   3   4   5   previous   next

This discussion Thread: Midland AGS Show 2015 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion