Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Midland AGS Show 2015

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Ian Instone, 20 April 2015, 09:43. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 19 April 2015, 12:12top / bottom of page

Knowle seemed quite a short drive on a cool, breezy, but beautifully sunlit morning.  Fortunately my wife was with me and was going on in the car to visit her mother in Nottingham, so I didn't need to try to find a space in the chaos they were calling a car park.

The hall was full of depressingly large, and heavy looking pots when I walked in.  Chris Lilley even made a point of pointing out to me how heavy they were, even after his move to plastic.  I should add that some of his pots were particularly heavy because they seemed to have spent the night in a bucket.  I'm not sure whether this was for the plants benefit, or mine, but one of them made a big puddle on the photography table later on.

I didn't manage to photograph any plants whilst judging was taking place, though a few views of the hall would have been a good idea, but I spent most of the time trying to persuade people to brave the London Marathon and exhibit at the London Show next Sunday.  By the time I got the camera set up, the judges were picking out plants for awards and bringing them to a table adjacent to mine for voting.  Well, on a sprung, gym hall floor, a group of judges is much like a herd of elephants, and there was no chance of photographing stationary plants until they had finished.

Fortunately, the proximity of the judging table meant that I could intercept most of the Farrer contenders before they returned to the show benches.  

Iris afghanica

My fist pick - I was very keep to photograph it before a flower decided to collapse - was this superb pot of Iris exhibited by Eric Jarrett.  This won the Midland Challenge Cup, essentially for the best plant in a 19cm pot, and a Certificate of Merit as an outstanding example of its species.

Iris afghanica
Benthamiella patagonica F+W 10111

Next up came the Farrer plant itself, again from Eric Jarrett's alpine house.

Benthamiella patagonica F+W 10111
Saxifraga Tycho Brahe

Runner-up for the Farrer, and awarded a Certificate of Merit, was this large, and extremely heavy pan of Saxifraga from Lionel Clarkson.

Saxifraga Tycho Brahe
Saxifraga diapensioides

Geoff Mawson's pan of S. diapensioides, from Robert Rolfe's stock, also won a Certificate of Merit.

Saxifraga diapensioides

More later... lunch calls.

Contribution from Jon Evans 19 April 2015, 14:50top / bottom of page
Tulipa clusiana var chrysantha

After returning these heavyweight pots to the end bench, I thought I would turn my attention to something smaller, and nearer, as the hall was now full of people.  So the next few plants are from the Novice section.  This tulip was exhibited by Denise Bridges, but lost out to a large pan of Narcissus (Hawera ?) from Lesley Travis.  However, the tulip offered more by way of photographic opportunity, so it was that I photographed.

Tulipa clusiana var chrysantha
Aquilegia discolor

Next to where I was taking photos, Lesley Travis had exhibited this little aquilegia, grown from AGS seed sown two years ago.  This plant must have been one of the most photographed in the show, attracting a lot of attention from exhibitors.  Sadly my photo does not do it justice; I was trying to capture both flowers, and as a result did not get a good photo of either.  

Aquilegia discolor
Tsuga canadensis Essex

Also from Lesley Travis was this little conifer.  This was the first time Lesley had exhibited, and she won the Perry Cup for the aggregate in the Novice section; she has set the bar high for the future.

Tsuga canadensis Essex
Cyclamen rhodium ssp peloponnesiacum

Moving on to the Intermediate section, this lovely cyclamen was grown by Steve Walters from Cyclamen Society seed (CSE 92060 Pavori Gorge, Greece).

Cyclamen rhodium ssp peloponnesiacum
Lachenalia mathewsii

Although it is his cyclamen we are familiar with at AGS shows, Steve Walters is far from a one-trick pony, and he staged two excellent pans of lachenalia on Saturday, starting with this very pretty yellow one.

Lachenalia mathewsii
Lachenalia haarlemensis

Also from Steve Walters, this lachenalia is one of the interesting species with zebra stripes on the back of the leaves.

Lachenalia haarlemensis
Iris pumila Knick Knack

Brenda Nickels exhibited a pretty little bearded iris.

Iris pumila Knick Knack
Narcissus bulbocodium

A large pan of Narcissus bulbocodium from Norman Davies.

Narcissus bulbocodium
Primula modesta var. samanimontana f. leucantha

Bob Worsley won the Albury Trophy for the Intermediate Section aggregate.  Among his plants was this attractive little primula.

Primula modesta var. samanimontana f. leucantha
Arisaema taiwanense

This plant, exhibited by Nigel Southall, is an old friend; do you recognise it ?  This is the same plant I added eyes from a vulture to for one of my computer-manipulated images this year.  I'm surprised people felt safe walking past it !

Arisaema taiwanense

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

This discussion Thread: Midland AGS Show 2015 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion