Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Malvern Show 11th May 2013

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Ken Curtis, 15 May 2013, 20:20. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 6:    (1)   2   3   4   5   6   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 15 May 2013, 13:13top / bottom of page
Pleione Claire

Here are some of the plants from the Malvern Show. I started with this pretty pleione, exhibited by Pauline Carless, who won the Hartside Trophy for the points aggregate in the Novice Section.

Pleione Claire
Pleione Tongariro

Somewhat bigger was this pan from the Open Section, exhibited by Anne Vale.

Pleione Tongariro

I always hope to see and photograph some new Pleione cultivars, but at the AGS Shows the same forms appear year after year - they are well-established in large pans and proven show performers. Since this was Ian Butterfield's last year of exhibiting at Malvern, I shall struggle to find a suitable way of photographing new cultivars.

Aquilegia scopulorum

This little aquilegia, exhibited by Peter Farkasch, was charming.

Aquilegia scopulorum
Aquilegia canadensis v. nana

By contrast, here is a bright, almost brash aquilegia from Jackie Street, but still with the characteristic poise I associate with them.

Aquilegia canadensis v. nana
Allium karataviense

Andrew Ward won the Susan Clements Memorial Trophy for the best plant in the Novice and Intermediate Sections for this lovely pan of onions.

Allium karataviense
Allium elburzense

In the Open section, Ivor Betteridge produced this smaller, more refined version.

Allium elburzense
Benthamiella patagonica

The Ashwood Trophy for the best plant in a 19cm pot went to Eric Jarrett for this neat little Benthamiella.

Benthamiella patagonica
Pinguicula macroceras ssp. nortensis

Don Peace was awarded a Certificate of Merit for this unusual butterwort from North America, exhibited in the class for new or rare plants.

Pinguicula macroceras ssp. nortensis
Pinguicula grandiflora

It was interesting to compare the American plant with the rare UK native, also exhibited by Don Peace.

Pinguicula grandiflora
Cassiope lycopodoides Beatrice Lilley

Dave Mountfort won the Bill Tubbs Trophy for the best pan of Ericaceae for this cassiope. Doug Joyce, the show photographer, and I, felt that a second pan of Beatrice Lilley, smaller but more completely covered with flowers, was robbed. Fortunately that was also exhibited by Dave Mountfort, so there was no cause for dispute.

Cassiope lycopodoides Beatrice Lilley

Contribution from Jon Evans 15 May 2013, 14:03top / bottom of page
Chamaecyparis obtusa Bambi

Lee and Julie Martin were awarded a Certificate of Merit for this conifer, despite it only being placed second in the large conifer class. This doesn't happen very often, usually only when one judge feels that an exceptional plant has been overlooked by the judges judging an individual class.

Chamaecyparis obtusa Bambi
Juniperus horizontalis Neumann

This conifer, exhibited by David Richards, was the one which beat the Chamaecyparis.

Juniperus horizontalis Neumann
Small six pan

The AGS medal for the small six-pan class was won by Paul and Gill Ranson, against considerable opposition.

Small six pan

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 6:    (1)   2   3   4   5   6   next

This discussion Thread: Malvern Show 11th May 2013 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion