Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Loughborough Show - 30th September 2017

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Don Peace

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 12 October 2017, 22:13. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 4 of 5:    1   2   3   (4)   5   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 12 October 2017, 22:28top / bottom of page
Flower Arrangement

This year, for the first time, the Loughborough Autumn Show had a People's Choice Award, voted for by visitors to the show.  The winning exhibit was this flower arrangement from Lee and Julie Martin.

Flower Arrangement
Arrangement of Leaves and Fruit

The Loughborough Autumn Show is, I think, the only show to have a class for an arrangement which excludes flowers.  It always generates interesting entries, and I wish that I had started photography more promptly, and had made time to photograph each of these individually.

Arrangement of Leaves and Fruit
Tanacetum leontopodium

Alan Newton exhibited this lovely silver foliage plant.

Tanacetum leontopodium
Pyrrosia drakeana

My favourite fern of the day was exhibited by Don Peace.

Pyrrosia drakeana
Gaultheria mucronata

This Gaultheria won the Leicester Group Trophy for the best plant in cone, seed, fruit or autumn colour for Barry Winter.

Gaultheria mucronata
Lysionotus pauciflorus

Anne Vale produced this interesting late-flowering shrub.

Lysionotus pauciflorus
Petrocosmea forrestii

A fine Petrocosmea from Ian Sharpe.

Petrocosmea forrestii
Saxifraga fortunei Hyoseki

What a colour !  An eye-catching exhibit from Mark Childerhouse.

Saxifraga fortunei Hyoseki
Sedum cauticolum

A most attractive sedum from Barry Winter, unless your nose gets too close to it.

Sedum cauticolum
Gentiana farreri Silken Star Group

Notable for its wonderful azure colour, this strain of G. farreri was produced, and exhibited by Keith and Rachel Lever and is supposed to be more amenable to cultivation.

Gentiana farreri Silken Star Group
Gentiana Murrayfield

The Joint Rock Garden Committee awarded a Preliminary Commendation to this gentian exhibited by John Richards.

Gentiana Murrayfield
Cyclamen mirabile Tilebarn Nicholas

The Tilebarn Nicholas strain of C. mirabile is supposed to have a pink flush to its leaves, but after that it can vary quite widely, as these two plants from Ian Robertson and Roy Skidmore demonstrate.

Cyclamen mirabile Tilebarn Nicholas
Cyclamen rohlfsianum

This deep pink form of C. rohlfsianum from Bob and Rannveig Wallis catches my eye every year.

Cyclamen rohlfsianum
Cyclamen hederifolium subsp crassifolium Silver Shield

A fine form of C. hederifolium from Roy Skidmore.

Cyclamen hederifolium subsp crassifolium Silver Sh
Cyclamen hederifolium subsp crassifolium Leonidi Form

My favourite C. hederifolium from Roy Skidmore was this one with wonderful, understated patterns on its leaves.

Cyclamen hederifolium subsp crassifolium Leonidi F

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 4 of 5:    1   2   3   (4)   5   previous   next

This discussion Thread: Loughborough Show - 30th September 2017 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion