Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Loughborough Show - 30th September 2017

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Don Peace

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 12 October 2017, 22:13. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 5:    1   2   (3)   4   5   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 12 October 2017, 22:22top / bottom of page
Crocus goulimyi Mani White

Another friend from the Woking Group, Mike Morton, exhibited this fine pan of crocuses in the Open small pan class for bulbs.

Crocus goulimyi Mani White
Crocus goulimyi Agia Sofia MELJ9652

A selected striped purple clone of C. goulimyi exhibited by Lee and Julie Martin was awarded a Preliminary Commendation by the Joint Rock Garden Committee.  There was some debate as to whether the striping owed its presence to virus, but as with some tulips, the result was most striking.

Crocus goulimyi Agia Sofia MELJ9652
Crocus goulimyi leucanthus

Also exhibited by Lee and Julie Marin was this large pan of a pale blue clone, awarded a Certificate of Merit by the judges.

Crocus goulimyi leucanthus
Crocus kotschyanus subsp. kotschyanus

Sticking with crocus, this fine pan was another member of Bob and Rannveig Wallis' small six-pan entry.

Crocus kotschyanus subsp. kotschyanus
Crocus tournefortii

Robert Rolfe brought two pans of this lovely crocus with long branched stigmas; this one was still in good condition when I got organised enough to photograph it in mid-afternoon.

Crocus tournefortii
Allium ericetorum

An elegant onion exhibited by Jim McGregor.

Allium ericetorum
Galanthus peshmenii

An autumn snowdrop exhibited by Don Peace.

Galanthus peshmenii
Nerine masoniorum

Tim Lever brought this magnificent pan of Nerine masoniorum.  Whilst I have learnt to grow and flower N. humilis well, I have never got the hang of these summer-growing species with thread-like leaves, and cannot maintain them let alone flower them.

Nerine masoniorum
Polyxena longituba

Several people exhibited small pans of Lachenalia (formerly Polyxena) longituba.  By far the neatest and most impressive came from Edward Spencer.

Polyxena longituba
Sternbergia greuteriana

This wonderful pan of Sternbergia greuteriana was exhibited by Ian Robertson.

Sternbergia greuteriana
Oxalis speciosa

Being dicots, Oxalis are not considered bulbs by the AGS.  At least one exhibitor paid the penalty for this, and had a pan marked not according to schedule in a bulbous class.  This is probably the most compactly I have ever grown Oxalis speciosa, but I had to take a lot of spent flowers off, and it didn't win a place in the Intermediate class for rock plants.

Oxalis speciosa
Oxalis flabellifolia

Bob and Rannveig Wallis included this rather more refined South African oxalis in their small six-pan entry.

Oxalis flabellifolia
Oxalis flava

A third yellow oxalis, O. flava from Peter Farkasch.

Oxalis flava

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 5:    1   2   (3)   4   5   previous   next

This discussion Thread: Loughborough Show - 30th September 2017 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion