Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Loughborough Show - 30th September 2017

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Don Peace

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 12 October 2017, 22:13. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 5:    1   (2)   3   4   5   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 12 October 2017, 22:13top / bottom of page

It isn't often that I find myself posting photos of one show after the following one, but this time I am in danger of beign two shows behind.  I am acutely aware of how their relevance diminishes rapidly as time elapses.  I would like to thank Ian Instone for making the effort to get his images up much more promptly.

However, I had returned from three weeks away on the Friday afternoon before the Loughborough Show (having got up early to make the transfer to the airport), and spent Friday evening in a long committee meeting for my camera club.  Somewhere in between, I grabbed a few plants out of the greenhouse and frame for the show.  

After this busy schedule the early start to make the journey to Loughborough was thoroughly unwelcome, and it took its toll throughout the day.  As a result, I went through the show in a bit of a daze, and much of it is now a blur.  

Since then I have had a long list of urgent actions and meetings to catch up after three weeks' absence, and am only now reaching the point where I feel my head is once again above the water.

As usual the show hall was filled by a magnificent array of plants, and dominated by huge cyclamen.

Three large pans of rock plants

Peter Farkasch won the class for 3 large pans of rock plants with this trio: Cyclamen hederifolium album, Nerine filifolium and Galanthus peshmenii.

Three large pans of rock plants

The small pan classes were equally vigorously contested.

Six small pans of rock plants

The AGS Medal for six small pans of rock plants went to Bob and Rannveig Wallis.  Their entry included three neat cyclamen, and Colchicum cupani, Oxalis flabellifolia and Crocus kotschyanus which we will see closer up later.

Six small pans of rock plants
Polystichum setiferum

My friend, local group member and new exhibitor Janet Pepper staged this attractive fern in the Novice section.

Polystichum setiferum
Fuchsia thymifolia

The Wirral Trophy for the aggregate in the Novice section was shared between Gill Hadland and Ben Parmee, each having 3 first points, 4 second points, and 3 third points.  This fuchsia was exhibited by Ben.

Fuchsia thymifolia
Nerine crispa

Gill Hadland's plants included this pretty Nerine.

Nerine crispa
Gentiana Inverleith

The Crosshall Goblet for the best plant in the Novice Section went to Ben Parmee for this gentian.

Gentiana Inverleith
Echevaria Black Prince

Paddy Parmee, Ben's wife, has started exhibiting her plants in the Intermediate section (and the Open section).  I thought this Echevaria was most eye-catching, though probably viewed as not hardy by the judges.

Echevaria Black Prince
Colchicum cupanii subsp. cupanii

This plant was one of those snatched out of my frame in a rush on Friday afternoon.  I was surprised, when cleaning the pot, to find it had a most attractive scent.  It came to me as C. cousturieri, but I am told that it should now be named C. cupanii subsp. cupanii. 

I put it in an Intermediate class because I thought it didn't stand a chance in the Open small pan class for bulbs. Much to my surprise, the judges proceeded to award it the Minera Trophy for the best bulb in the Intermediate and Novice sections.  Maybe that demonstrates the gap in standard between the sections.

Colchicum cupanii subsp. cupanii
Colchicum cupanii

There was a much better flowered and less leafy pan of a darker pink and most appealing form of C. cupani in Bob and Rannveig Wallis' winning small six-pan entry.

Colchicum cupanii

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 5:    1   (2)   3   4   5   previous   next

This discussion Thread: Loughborough Show - 30th September 2017 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion