Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Loughborough Show March 2010 Formal Photos

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 09 March 2010, 11:31. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 07 March 2010, 22:02top / bottom of page

Hi

Here are the rest of my formal photos from Loughborough. I have started a new thread to reduce the time taken loading the page. Sorry it has taken a while, but I've been trying to catch up with a bit of gardening today in the sunshine, though it was still bitterly cold here and the ground was frozen.

I apologise if the images seem a little dark. I have been using a new piece of software since Christmas (the beta version of Adobe Lightroom 3) and seem to be having trouble with colour management ? the pictures look fine on the screen and print well, but if I make little JPGs for putting on the website they come out dark.

So what to say about the Loughborough Show ? The show season finally arrived with a bang ? hundreds of lovely plants on the benches, and the aisles filled with visitors. Finally, the main Spring genera are starting to flower ? Dionysia, Fritillaria, Hepatica, Narcissus and Primula (though many of the latter looked as though they had been enjoying warmer temperatures than those outside today).

Class 1, the large six pan class

Let's start with Class 1, the large six pan class. I didn't take a photo of John Gennard's wonderful exhibit as a whole (I'm hoping someone will post one), but did take four of the six plants individually.

Eranthis Guinea Gold
Eranthis Guinea Gold
Hepatica japonica f. magna

This plant was awarded a Certificate of Merit

Hepatica japonica f. magna
Hepatica yamatutai

And this one was awarded a Preliminary Commendation

Hepatica yamatutai
Primula bhutanica

I meant to take close-ups, but got diverted.

Primula bhutanica
Corydalis popovii

Skipping along the benches, and omitting, for the most part, photos of the award-winning plants I have sent to Jim McGregor for the Show gallery and Joint Rock Report, we come to Corydalis popovii exhibited by Mike Chadwick. Carrying slowly across the crowded hall to photograph, I was impressed by its rather unpleasant fragrance (sorry Mike); on the other hand I passed a group of ladies who thought it smelt lovely ? chacun a son gout.

Corydalis popovii
Hepatica nobilis

Following round the benches, I took this Hepatica nobilis exhibited by Mavis Allanson.

Hepatica nobilis
Galanthus nivalis Eslington Halfer

Diane Clement has already posted photos of this snowdrop, but I was pleased with mine, and liked the rather dainty flowers, so here they are:

Galanthus nivalis Eslington Halfer
Galanthus St Annes

Another snowdrop which missed out on the places in Class 23 (won by Diane Clement's Colchicum szovitsii) was this one from Vic Aspland.

Galanthus St Annes
Asarum splendens

And now for something completely different, as they say. I am used to photographing Asarums with their leaves spreading above the flowers, making it impossible to see the detail of what goes on under there. On this exhibit from Ray Drew, there were no leaves to be seen as yet, making it possible to see the flowers much better. Some people might question why one would want to, but I thought it had a rather sinister charm (and it doesn't have the sort of scent you are expecting, or indeed much scent at all).

Asarum splendens
Galanthus elwesii v. monostictus

This was the largest pan of snowdrops, and the largest snowdrop on display, exhibited by Rosina Abbiss. I wish I had measured it ? in my memory the flowers are at least 2 inches across.

Galanthus elwesii v. monostictus
Hepatica nobilis v. japonica

Back to the hepaticas ? this one from Paul and Gill Ranson

And this from Cecilia Coller

Hepatica nobilis

Again from Cecilia

Hepatica nobilis
Gymnospermium altaicum

In class 49 Vic Aspland entered this Gymnospermium. It didn't catch the judges' eye among the 17 other entries, but it is one of my favourite plants.

Gymnospermium altaicum

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

This discussion Thread: Loughborough Show March 2010 Formal Photos - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion