Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Loughborough Show March 2012

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 15 March 2012, 18:29. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 12 March 2012, 21:44top / bottom of page

Hi there everyone

I'm sorry it has taken a while to get these images up; as you may have noticed if you have read Tim Ingram's contribution in the AGS Events discussion area, I have been rather busy since getting home from the Loughborough show, helping with a display at Wisley. Thanks to Tim for his kind comments there.

In contrast to last week at Harlow, it seemed like I was up against time from the moment I arrived at Loughborough. There was a wonderful display of plants, and I made a long list of personal selections to photograph, but in the event barely got past the award plants and those needed for the official show report.

Last year at this event, I amd my camera got soaking wet doing the photography outside the show hall in a steady drizzle; this year I asked the show secretaries if somewhere with more clement weather conditions could be provided, and they obliged wonderfully by booking a music room with two north-east facing windows. On the down side, this meant a healthy stagger down the corridor with the heavier pots, dodging visitors to the show who seemed almost inebriated as they exited the plant sales area, overwhelmed with treasured purchases.

With so many plants, judging seemed to run on a long time, and that combined with the distance between show and photography studio has meant that I have less than half as many images to share with you than at Harlow.

Dionysia Bernd Wetzel

After the difficulties of the first two shows, it was good to see the dionysia growers reaching their usual heights. Paul and Gill Ranson managed to produce a fine large six pan exhibit for class one. Doug Joyce took the full entry in situ, but here is one of its members, Dionysia Bernd Wetzel (tapetodes x aretioides H9401).

Dionysia Bernd Wetzel
Dionysia Tess

Bob Fenwick's plant of Tess was still in fine condition, and this week was awarded a Certificate of Merit, despite being runner-up in its class.

Dionysia Tess
Dionysia termeana

Finally, the Farrer medal went to Eric Jarrett, who had a great day, with this plant of Dionysia termeana.

Dionysia termeana
Trillium nivale

Eric Jarrett also won the American Trophy (for the best plant from the Americas), with this lovely pan of Trillium nivale.

Trillium nivale
Primula allionii Lepus

The Richard Regan Trophy for the best plant in a 19cm pot went to Geoff Rollinson for this plant of Primula allionii Lepus. This was just one (sadly the only one I photographed) of an array of perfect primulas Geoff produced at the show; Nigel Fuller and Brian Burrow, whose own plants were excellent, hardly got a look-in.

Primula allionii Lepus
Cyclamen pseudibericum

One of the best cyclamen on the display had come down from the north with Ian Kidman; it seemed to have survived the journey pretty well.

Cyclamen pseudibericum
Corydalis nudicaulis

This is the plant which pipped Bob Fenwick's Tess; a lovely pan of corydalis exhibited by Peter Taggart and also awarded a Certificate of Merit.

Corydalis nudicaulis
Saxifraga Allendale Grace

Finally, the saxifrages have started to appear on the show bench. This was the best of them; a perfect blackcurrant mousse of a plant from Tommy Anderson, winner of a Certificate of Merit and the Saxifrage Group Salver, and given the difficulty with which we lugged its 10in+ full pot down the corridor, the photographer's award for the heaviest plant. It was much larger than it looks. Pots like this aren't too bad to carry once they are up at shoulder height, but getting them up there, and safely back down again is another matter.

Saxifraga Allendale Grace
Saxifraga oppositifolia alba

A very familiar plant, but one seldom seem on the show bench, at least in this condition, exhibited by Trevor Harding.

Saxifraga oppositifolia alba
Saxifraga lowndesii TJR854-05

Fortunately, not all the pots were so heavy; this pretty little sax was exhibited Eric Jarrett.

Saxifraga lowndesii TJR854-05
Santolina elegans

A lovely silver cushion from Eric Jarrett.

Santolina elegans
Callianthemum anemonoides

This was exhibited by our Northumberland diarist, John Richards. I am posting two views, as the second gives a hint of the colour behind the petals. On Sunday, at Wisley, I saw a form that was positively pink; I'll post that later in the week if I get time.

Callianthemum anemonoides
Ranunculus calandrinioides

One for Cliff. Runner-up to the Callianthemum was this ranunculus exhibited by Trevor Harding.

Ranunculus calandrinioides
Cymbidium erythraeum

There were several plants of Cymbidium goeringii on the benches, but just one of this one, from the Himalayas and China, exhibited by Brian and Jo Walker. A fascinating plant I haven't seen before, but tall and difficult to photograph with its long waving stem; I was pleased by the results.

Cymbidium erythraeum
Ophrys bertolonii

By constrast, in the same class was this exquisite tiny orchid exhibited by Barry Tattersall, quite possibly the most coveted plant at the show.

Ophrys bertolonii

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

This discussion Thread: Loughborough Show March 2012 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion