Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Loughborough Autumn Show

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Martin Rogerson

Go to latest contribution by Ian Instone, 08 October 2013, 16:40. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 19 September 2013, 17:12top / bottom of page

Hello, we'd like to see you all at this year's Loughborough Autumn Show on the 5th October. Full details and a list of nurseries attending in the attached notice. Come and make you r new Show Secretaries happy! Martin & Neil

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 22 September 2013, 13:57top / bottom of page

A reminder that there is an Artistic Section at this show and that, if you haven't already, you need to submit your entries to me in the normal way. THEY ARE NOW OVERDUE!

Contribution from Jon Evans 07 October 2013, 11:20top / bottom of page
Artistic Section

Following on from Martin's plea for entries from the art exhibitors, two photos were awarded Certificates of Merit at the show.

Asarum campaniforme

A Certificate of Merit for Peter Maguire

Asarum campaniforme
Townsendia spathulata Pryor Mountains Form

A Certificate of Merit for Graham Nicholls

Townsendia spathulata Pryor Mountains Form
Looking around the show

During judging, I usually look around the benches, making a note of the plants I want to photograph later, and take the shots I want of the multi-pan classes in situ.

Class 1 - Large 3 pans of rock plants

The only entry in class 1 was from Bob and Rannveig Wallis.

Class 1 - Large 3 pans of rock plants
Biarum marmarisense

Much, much later, after I had finished show photography and put away my gear, I noticed the three little druids at the front of the pan (a different pan from last week at Kent). So here they are, surrounded by exhibitors standing around like gods, waiting for the presentation ceremony.

Biarum marmarisense
Class 4 - 3 Large (very large) pans of Cyclamen

There were two entries for this class - Ian Robertson on the left, and Bob and Rannveig Wallis on the right.

Class 4 - 3 Large (very large) pans of Cyclamen
Class 13 - 3 pans Rock Plants from one Continent (Europe)

Bob and Rannveig Wallis entered 3 more fine cyclamen in this class.

Class 13 - 3 pans Rock Plants from one Continent (
Class 38 - small 6-pans of rock plants

Bob and Rannveig Wallis made the only entry in the small 6 pan class. Many of these plants were photographed later on.

Class 38 - small 6-pans of rock plants
Autumn Colour

The classes for shrubs in autumn colour looked best en masse.

Autumn Colour
Crassula species

This interesting Crassula from the Drakensberg appeared in the Intermediate section.

Crassula species
Colchicum Waterlily

The Crosshall Goblet for the best plant in the Novice Section went to Pauline Carless for this colchicum.

Colchicum Waterlily
Colchicum cupanii ssp. glossophyllum

The other colchicum I photographed at the show was this lovely deep coloured form of C. cupanii from Bob and Rannveig Wallis' six pan entry.

Colchicum cupanii ssp. glossophyllum
Crocus banaticus

Moving on to crocuses, always the first thing to photograph after judging is finished. This pan was exhibited by Don Peace.

Crocus banaticus
Crocus niveus

Also exhibited by Don Peace, with the C. banaticus, in a small 3-pan (raised from seed ?).

Crocus niveus
Crocus banaticus

A much bigger pan of Crocus banaticus, exhibited by Paul and Gill Ranson.

Crocus banaticus

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

This discussion Thread: Loughborough Autumn Show - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion