Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Loughborough Autumn Show

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Ron Mudd

Go to latest contribution by Martin Rogerson, 10 October 2012, 13:25. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Ron Mudd 07 October 2012, 18:36top / bottom of page

A tremendous effort from everyone involved in all aspects of this show, I thought. I don't usually attend the Autumn shows, but am very glad I did. Excellent catering, plants I've never seen, beautifully grown, extensive ( no p in that ) plant sales. Thoroughly enjoyed the day, hope it will happen again next year. Under attended .... maybe.Deserves better next time!

Contribution from Jon Evans 09 October 2012, 22:34top / bottom of page
Show photographs at last

What a difference a week makes! Last week there were some great plants but overall the show was a bit thin - this week the benches were crowded.

The sky was clear, the air was still (well an occasional gentle breeze), and the sun shone constantly while Jim Almond and I took photos outside the hall. Which would of course have been fine, but with many of these plants (white colchicum flowers, blue gentians etc) we needed shade to make a good photo, so much of our day was spent contriving good light in a gentle shade, and moving the setup round as the sun moved.

Again, we started out by hunting out the crocuses and colchicums, which we felt might suffer in the sun.

Contribution from Jon Evans 09 October 2012, 22:48top / bottom of page
Colchicum autumnale v. album

Let us start with an outstanding plant from the Novice section. This lovely pan shown by Andrew Ward won the Crosshall Goblet for the best plant in the section, and the Minera Trophy for the best bulb in Novice or Intermediate Section.

Colchicum autumnale v. album
Colchicum baytopiorum

Moving into the Open section, we have a small pan of my favourite colchicum, exhibited by Trevor Harding.

Colchicum baytopiorum
Colchicum alpinum

Another charming little species, this pan won a Certificate of Merit for Jim McGregor.

Colchicum alpinum
Colchicum dolicantherum

This is the same plant I photographed at the Autumn South Show, exhibited by Bob and Rannveig Wallis, repeated at the behest of the show reporter.

Colchicum dolicantherum
Colchicum cupanii ssp. glossophyllum

In previous years, I have photographed an almost white form of this, but here, from the same exhibitors, Bob and Rannveig Wallis, is a deep pink version.

Colchicum cupanii ssp. glossophyllum
Colchicum speciosum v. album

Last week I photographed a small pan of this from the Novice section. Here, by contrast is a huge (but strangely and thankfully light) panful, exhibited by David Boyd.

Colchicum speciosum v. album
Crocus goulimyi Sikia Form

Now the crocuses. This pan stood out from across the hall, exhibited by Ju Bramley. It was good to see Ju back at a show, and exhibiting some fine plants.

Crocus goulimyi Sikia Form
Crocus hadriaticus

The first of two lovely white crocuses from Ju Bramley.

Crocus hadriaticus
Crocus laevigatus

The third of Ju Bramley's pans of crocus.

Crocus laevigatus
Crocus kotschyanus ssp. kotschyanus

This wasn't properly out when we found it, so we stood it on a windowsill in the sun for a bit to encourage the flowers to open. I hope Bob and Rannveig Wallis didn't mind. Please would someone tell me which of the two images is the best colour; I can't decide - the first was taken in sun, the second in shade.

Crocus kotschyanus ssp. kotschyanus
Crocus mathewii

Finally, again at the behest of the show reporter, this is another pan I photographed last week, but perhaps now a little further out. Crocus mathewii grown from seed by Ian Robertson.

Crocus mathewii
Adenophora morrisonensis RWJ100080

Let's take a break from bulbs now. This adenophora was exhibited by Diane Clement, who complained that it had lost some of its 'zing' since the SRGC Discussion Weekend last week. It looked pretty good in close-up to me.

Adenophora morrisonensis RWJ100080
Petrocosmea farreri

Last week I photographed some small plants of P. farreri planted together in a pan. Here is a larger plant, exhibited by Dave Mountfort, as part of a 3-pan exhibit of petrocosmeas; still a lovely and delicate thing.

Petrocosmea farreri
Petrocosmea minor

Second of Dave Mountfort's 3-pan; I needed to find a patch of shade to capture the right colour.

Petrocosmea minor
Petrocosmea sp. aff. iodioides

A final petrocosmea from Dave Mountfort, this time with strangely uplifted leaves.

Petrocosmea sp. aff. iodioides
Gentiana sino-ornata Gorau Glas

Sticking with the blue theme, this was one of several fine exhibits from Keith and Rachel Lever.

Gentiana sino-ornata Gorau Glas

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

This discussion Thread: Loughborough Autumn Show - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion