Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Loughborough Autumn Show 3rd October 2015

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Martin Rogerson

Go to latest contribution by Margaret Young, 17 October 2015, 14:37. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 6:    1   (2)   3   4   5   6   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 06 October 2015, 17:17top / bottom of page

Thanks to Ian for posting an excellent set of photos so quickly.  I'm going to make a start posting the 'official' photos of the plants, but I'm not sure I'll get through it tonight.  I had a very near 'miss' on the way to the show (and another on the way home), and was quite shaken when I arrived.  It took me a while to settle down to my duties.  The hall was full of plants, and a busy day was in prospect.  As usual, I was in the hall during judging, first checking out what plants might need to be captured early on before they closed (crocuses), then taking pictures of the benches, and finally setting up my studio outside the fire escape on a perfect day for photography - high cloud, very little wind, and pleasantly warm.  It did spit with rain for 10 minutes or so later in the day, but overall I was delighted with the conditions - not what I normally expect in October.  So first, views of the show hall and show benches.

Ornithogalum sardienii

During judging, I usually search out one or two plants I think the judges have finished with, to help set up my equipment and check through the camera settings etc.  In this case, an unusual Ornithogalum species exhibited by Neil Hubbard in the Intermediate Section, which had been awarded third in its class, but which was attractive and interesting to me.

Ornithogalum sardienii
Cyclamen intaminatum

Another 'test' plant; in this case a pot of Cyclamen intaminatum seedlings from Bob Worsley.  This was exhibited in a 'grown from seed' class, and shows considerable variation in both leaf and flower.

Cyclamen intaminatum
Crocus hadriaticus

There weren't many crocuses in the show.  These were exhibited by Ian Robertson.

Crocus hadriaticus
Crocus banaticus

It was hard to find many bulbs in the Novice and Intermediate sections; in the end the Minera Trophy for the best pan of bulbs in these sections went to Pauline Carless for this pot of Crocus banaticus.

Crocus banaticus
Crocus banaticus

In the Open Section, Tommy Anderson showed a bigger pan, but the huge panfuls we see some years were apparently not out yet.

Crocus banaticus
Polystichum setiferum Divisilobum Group

Whilst the hall was busy, I picked up this fern from the table near the fire escape.  Exhibited by Jackie Street, it was ignored by the judges, but I thought it was most attractive.

Polystichum setiferum Divisilobum Group
Brunsvigia nervosa

George Elder staged a wonderful three pan of South African bulbs, including two different Brunsvigias.  It is quite an achievement to persuade these to flower - I have never succeeded.  Some of the judges were muttering a little about hardiness, but to be honest they are significantly hardier than some of the plants we see regularly, for example Nerine gaboronensis, and will stand a light frost as long as the soil doesn't freeze, which puts them in the same bracket as many Mediterranean bulbs.

Brunsvigia nervosa
Brunsvigia bosmaniae

The second plant in George Elder's exhibit.

Brunsvigia bosmaniae
Lachenalia corymbosa

The final plant in George Elder's exhibit was this little Lachenalia, formerly known as Polyxena brevifolia, before the whole genus Polyxena was swallowed up by Lachenalia.

Lachenalia corymbosa
Sternbergia sicula

The large pan class for bulbous plants was won by Jim McGregor with this fine pan of Sternbergia, which was awarded a Certificate of Merit.

Sternbergia sicula

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 6:    1   (2)   3   4   5   6   previous   next

This discussion Thread: Loughborough Autumn Show 3rd October 2015 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion