Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: LONDON SHOW @ RHS Halls

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Colin Dolding

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 14 April 2010, 15:55. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Colin Dolding 08 April 2010, 23:26top / bottom of page

A big thank you to Jon Evans and his team for all their hard work in staging this show. I think there were nearly twice the number of plants on the bench as 2 years ago and an amazing photographic/artistic display.

Jon thoroughly deserved his Large Gold Award for a beautiful display of close up images of alpine flowers.

I will try and post some pictures later, hopefully someone else will be able to beat me to it as I think I have left my camera at Pershore today!

Contribution from Lee and Julie Martin 09 April 2010, 10:21top / bottom of page

We absolutely agree with Colin - special thanks to Jon for his dedication in making this Show a success. Jon - our congratulations on your LARGE GOLD AWARD for your wonderful exhibit - well deserved.

Contribution from Jim McGregor 09 April 2010, 11:28top / bottom of page

A big thank you from the shows department as well Jon. It is not an easy show to run with all the logistical problems of getting in and out of Central London.

Thanks to all the exhibitors as well for supporting the show.

For those who haven't found them yet, I have uploaded Doug Joyce's pictures of the show into the Show results area:

London Show Photogallery

Contribution from Jon Evans 14 April 2010, 15:55top / bottom of page

Hi

I would like to thank my team of helpers from all round London for making this show such a success. We were very fortunate that the train strike was cancelled, making it much easier for exhibitors, stewards and judges to travel to central London, and for those who drove to park, but thanks to everyone for persevering when things looked more difficult than normal. Thanks also to the determined band of exhibitors for bringing so many plants, despite the many difficulties.

Thanks also to my wife for putting up with me spending a week effectively away from home. I have just spent the weekend away, repaying some of this debt by taking the family to visit my mother-in-law, so, belatedly, thanks to everyone on this thread for their kind comments.

I'm not sure whether it is really worth posting my pictures of the show, this long after the event, particularly when they were taken with my digital camera, whilst walking round the bench chatting to visitors and persuading them not to touch. So don't expect the usual style and standard. It is a very eclectic selection, depending on which plants my compact camera decided to focus on, so my apologies to anyone whose plant doesn't appear; the camera probably focused on something in the background. However, no one else has posted pictures, and I would like to post a few shots to give an idea of the show to those who could not attend. I'm going to focus on the plants; I'll post some pictures of the art later.

Views of the Show

Let's start with some general views of the show; three long tables of plants, backed by 14 2 metre boards containing the artistic section (c. 170 photos, paintings and needlework).

Views of the Show
Alpines in Close-Up

Because the artistic section had fewer entries this year than last, I was able to use six boards to stage an exhibit of close-ups of alpine plants, mainly taken whilst acting as show photographer. The thing that is hard to explain is how difficult it is mentally to keep switching from taking full plant shots for the bulletin to taking these close-ups for personal satisfaction.

Alpines in Close-Up
12 pans of Saxifrages

For the first time for several years, David Hoare brought some plants in to the show. I suspect that most years he has little to exhibit by London, as the saxifrages and primulas he grows are mainly over, but in this late season he was able to bring an entry of saxifrages for the 12-pan class from a single genus, as well as many other primulas and saxifrages to swell the benches. One of the pleasing things about this exhibit was the way it demonstrated some of the variation within the genus, by combining the tight cushion Porophyllum saxifrages with others which presented their flowers on stalks, and with one of the frederici-augusti cultivars. Let's hope the whole experience was not too demanding, and he will bring plants again next year.

12 pans of Saxifrages
Saxifraga Charles Chaplin

This and the following are from David Hoare's 12-pan exhibit.

Saxifraga Charles Chaplin
Saxifraga Armida
Saxifraga Armida
Saxifraga Jaroslav Horny
Saxifraga Jaroslav Horny
Saxifraga Allendale Frost

Elsewhere David exhibited this beautiful saxifrage, a much debated runner-up in its class.

Saxifraga Allendale Frost
12 pans of Primulas

Although somewhat overshadowed by the huge pots of saxifrages, David Philbey also entered the 12-pan class with his usual exhibit of Primula hybrids. This year all 12 plants were in 19cm pots for the first time.

12 pans of Primulas
6 pans of Primulas from seed

David entered and won the class for 6 pans raised from seed with this lovely exhibit of yellow Primula hybrids, all raised by himself. As his step-son, I have taken individual photos of all six, but I will spare you those.

6 pans of Primulas from seed
3 pans of Primulas from seed

David also won the class for 3 pans from seed with a mixed selection of named seedlings.

3 pans of Primulas from seed
Primula Janet Aldritch

from the 3-pan entry

Primula Janet Aldritch
Primula Leprechaun

also from the 3-pan entry

Primula Leprechaun
Primula Lindum Rapture

David won the large 3-pan Primula class with an exhibit including this lovely yellow hybrid.

Primula Lindum Rapture
Small 3-pans Primula

Rosina Abbiss won the small 3-pan class for primulas with this entry.

Small 3-pans Primula

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

This discussion Thread: LONDON SHOW @ RHS Halls - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion