Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Kent Autumn Show 2016

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 14 November 2016, 21:48. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 9:    (1)   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 26 October 2016, 10:47top / bottom of page

The Kent Autumn Show on Saturday was a splendid affair.  A cold morning with patchy hill fog cleared to a bright but crisp sunny day.  The show had been well promoted and was busy for much of the day, and the exhibitors produced a magnificent selection of plants.  Perhaps because of the later date, the show was dominated by Crocus, rather than the usual Cyclamen.

I was not the official photographer at the show, and some of the exhibitors were amazed to see me wandering about the benches talking photos with a compact camera like any other visitor to the show.  So don't expect the pristine, formal images you usually get from me, but I hope that those I did take will at least give a hint to the quality of the plants, and capture the flavour of the show.

Display from RHS Wisley

As you walked through the seating and sales area towards the show itself, you approached an excellent exhibit from RHS Wisley, staged by Sarah Carlton and Tom King.  This was a find display, full of interesting and really well-grown plants, and it was disappointing that it only received a Silver Medal, though this was explained by occasional lack of attention to detail (some most decorative dead fronds on some of the ferns for example).  Sarah and Tom also put a couple of plants from Wisley on the show bench, as we shall see later.

Display from RHS Wisley

As I said earlier, the show was busy, and by the look of things, so were the caterers.  I took a packed lunch and ate it outside in the sunshine.

Artistic Section

As in the spring, the Artistic sections was supported almost solely by Jean Morris, with just a couple of paintings from Rannveig Wallis to support her.  Nevertheless, the judges felt it was important to maintain standards, and in several classes no first was awarded.

Artistic Section
Anemone nemorosa Robinsoniana

by Jean Morris

Anemone nemorosa Robinsoniana
Rhodophiala andicola
Rhodophiala andicola
Iris arenaria
Iris arenaria
Iris kolpakowskiana
Iris kolpakowskiana
Iris sibirica
Iris sibirica
Iris Pacific Coast
Iris Pacific Coast
Meconopsis Marit
Meconopsis Marit

Jean has been taking classes in painting and drawing; here are some of her entries in these classes.

Ranunculus lyallii
Ranunculus lyallii
Meconopsis aculeata
Meconopsis aculeata
Fritillaria pontica
Fritillaria pontica
Anemone blanda

Finally, the two paintings by Rannveig Wallis

Anemone blanda
Narcissus albimarginatus

by Rannveig Wallis

Narcissus albimarginatus
Floral arrangement

Whilst focusing on the Artistic section, we shouldn't overlook the flower arranging skills of Lee (and Julie) Martin.

Floral arrangement

Once past the Artistic section, we reach the show proper.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 9:    (1)   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   next

This discussion Thread: Kent Autumn Show 2016 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion