Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: KENT SHOW 2009

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: David Hoare

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 28 April 2009, 22:00. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from David Hoare 22 March 2009, 11:11top / bottom of page

Just a few pictures from Kent It was a very good show, one of the best we have had

Thank you to all my Team at Kent for all there hard work yesterday in making it a very enjoyable day. And yes the Show Secretary had a good day. Best Wishes David Hoare.

Contribution from Diane Clement 22 March 2009, 12:11top / bottom of page

It looks like a fantastic day, David. Thanks for posting the pics, I don't know where you found the time to take them, with a Show secretary's hat on, and exhibitor. I think modesty prevents David from saying who won the Farrer, and although I can't read the exhibitor's card, I can see it was part of a six pan entry of saxifragas, so I guess congratulations are due to you David. Well done!

Contribution from David Hoare 22 March 2009, 20:19top / bottom of page

Thank you Diane for your good wishes. What a day!! Lets hope we don't have to wait to long for another cold winter. Best Wishes David

Contribution from Jon Evans 28 April 2009, 22:00top / bottom of page
Official Show Pictures

Tonight's batch of 'official' show pictures are from the Kent Show. Kent was a show dominated by cushions, with huge dionysias, saxifrages and primulas. Normally, there are wonderful bulbs as well, but there were fewer than normal this year.

I find when taking the official pictures that I tend to concentrate on smaller cushions, in part because that is where the new cultivars and species appear.

There is also a weight consideration. Carrying one of David Hoare's huge pots from his six pan entry composed of saxifrages is one thing; taking each of the six in turn is quite another, though all were worthy of photographs.

But I also find that photographs tend not to do justice to the larger cushions, magnificent though they are in the flesh. The individual flowers tend to look small and it is difficult to capture their beauty. I hope that this lack of photographs doesn't offend some of the growers; I am always happy to satisfy a polite request to take a photo, if you feel your plant is particularly fine this year.

This time, let's start with the Farrer Medal, awarded to the hard-working show secretary, David Hoare

Saxifraga Myriad exhibited by David Hoare
Saxifraga Myriad exhibited by David Hoare
Close up of Saxifraga Myriad
Close up of Saxifraga Myriad
Saxifraga Coolock Kate, also exhibited by David Hoare
Saxifraga Coolock Kate, also exhibited by David Ho
Saxifraga retusa, exhibited by Eric Jarrett

Not often seen on a show bench

Saxifraga retusa, exhibited by Eric Jarrett

Now some dionysias. First, the best plant in a 19cm pot.

Dionysia oreodoxa also exhibited by Eric Jarrett
Dionysia oreodoxa also exhibited by Eric Jarrett
Dionysia aretioides Gerben exhibited by Paul and Gill Ranson

A fabulously elegant plant; the flowers are just neatly arranged without being packed too tightly together

Dionysia aretioides Gerben exhibited by Paul and G
Dionysia tapetodes JRDE2 exhibited by Paul and Gill Ranson

I can't think when I have ever seen a tapetodes as perfectly covered with flowers, and a lovely deep yellow.

Dionysia tapetodes JRDE2 exhibited by Paul and Gil
Dionysia bryoides exhibited by Anne Vale

This plant was in C section, and won the award for the best plant there.

Dionysia bryoides exhibited by Anne Vale

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

This discussion Thread: KENT SHOW 2009 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion