Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Fritillaria pudica

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 30 May 2014, 12:40. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from Jon Evans 29 May 2014, 14:47top / bottom of page

When I first started visiting AGS shows in earnest, over 20 years ago, long before I started taking photos at shows, one of the highlights of the spring shows was large pans of Fritillaria pudica.  It was available in a number of different clones, some large, some small, some scented, and was one of the things I aspired to grow, with absolutely no success I hasten to add.

It has been a long time now since I have seen even a decent small pan of this species.  What has happened ?  It seems to have been almost lost from cultivation.

Contribution from Martin Rogerson 29 May 2014, 16:28top / bottom of page

I have it, had it since 2004, it's alive but I seem to be unable to get more than 1 or 2 flowers from a potful of bulbs. Clearly haven't figured out how to grow it yet :-(

Contribution from David Nicholson 29 May 2014, 19:09top / bottom of page

Ron Mudd grows them extremely well up in East Yorkshire. Have a look at his posts (under his "pen-name" 'Longma' ) on the NARGS Forum in the Frit thread under 'Bulbs'.

Probably this link isn't going to work:-

https://www.nargs.org/forum/fritillaria-0

Contribution from Jon Evans 30 May 2014, 12:40top / bottom of page

Thanks both of you.  It is good to know that people still grow it.  But the pans at shows with 50-100 flowers seem to be a thing of the past.  I wonder if Rod and Jane Leeds still grow it to that sort of standard, though they stopped exhibiting some time ago.

This discussion Thread: Fritillaria pudica - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion