Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Formal Show Photographs

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 05 May 2009, 15:51. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 30 April 2009, 12:13top / bottom of page

I have now posted a selection of formal photos of plants from all the shows I have visited during the Spring, namely:

South Wales Show

Loughborough Show

Kent Show

South West Show

Midland Show

I hope they are of interest.

Contribution from John Humphries 01 May 2009, 22:17top / bottom of page

Very much appreciated Jon. The standard you set is brilliant and allows those of us who have not managed to get to these shows a chance to see the plants in their glory.

Even sometimes when we have been to the shows in question, we can miss getting a proper look as those parts of the bench are often crowded.

Do you ever contemplate taking floral close ups when you have the plant on the stand rather than the standard plant portrait?

John H Hampshire

In re-viewing some of the entries, I see a number of close-ups, apologies, question answered.

Contribution from Colin Dolding 04 May 2009, 11:51top / bottom of page

A picture of the informal Formal Photographer enjoying himself whilst working extremely hard during the London show this year. Many thanks Jon for all your superb images posted on these pages.

Contribution from David Nicholson 04 May 2009, 16:47top / bottom of page

...... and those braces are worth a picture to themselves!

Contribution from Jon Evans 05 May 2009, 14:18top / bottom of page

Well thanks for that Colin. I can only say that the picture looks better with the braces than without them ! They would go well with your shorts I think.

Contribution from Jon Evans 05 May 2009, 15:51top / bottom of page
Full Plant or Close Up

To answer John Humphries' question, I do try to take close ups of the most striking flowers (or other details), though it is easy to forget when you are set up for, and focusing on the full plant portraits normally required for The Alpine Gardener.

Since the Show Reports article in the Alpine Gardener has started covering more plants, and printing photos six to a page, these close-ups may appear more often, as it can be hard to see the detail in a full plant portrait.

What do other members, and readers of the Alpine Gardener think about this ?

This discussion Thread: Formal Show Photographs - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion