Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: East Anglia show. May 3rd 2014

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Ian Instone

Go to latest contribution by Tony Goode, 05 May 2014, 22:02. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Ian Instone 05 May 2014, 08:45top / bottom of page

I'm afraid I forgot to take my camera, so I tried to take a few pictures with my mobile phone, hense the poor quality. Having travelled a zillion miles from Leeds to get there, I wanted some record of the show, especially having managed to sneak my first award of merit, with a large pan of Paris quadrifolia that I grew from seed. 

The Farrer medal was Saxifraga pubescens, Snowcap.

Contribution from Margaret Young 05 May 2014, 18:53top / bottom of page

I have a mobile phone that can barely make phone calls - getting offers for it from several museums - so I'm impressed, Ian! 

"my first award of merit, with a large pan of Paris quadrifolia that I grew from seed."

A lovely exhibit - a plant that does not, I believe,  get the credit it deserves  - super native plant. How old is your plant?

Contribution from Ian Instone 05 May 2014, 21:17top / bottom of page

Thank you Margaret for your kind comments about my plant. I planted the seed, which were taken from my smaller pot of Paris, in 2007. The root sytem has expanded to such an extent that it has split the plastic pot in a couple of places.

Contribution from Tony Goode 05 May 2014, 22:02top / bottom of page

Here is a picture of Ian's Paris.  Very good it was too!

As a member of the group who organise the show I can record that we are very grateful to all the exhibitors who travel across the country to make the show what it is.  It makes our efforts all the more worthwhile.

A footnote: members who were at the show will know that Cecilia Coller had an accident, falling over a post outside the show hall and sustaining a deep cut to her leg which required hospital attention.  I am pleased to report she is mending well.  Our secretary spoke to her today and the news is:

She has been stitched up well, and is pleased with what the nurse has done. She was in good spirits, but she has to rest the leg.

She is adamant that she does not want any complaint to the school, she thinks we have the best venue on the circuit and would not wish to jeopardise our relationship with the school.

A typically straightforward response to the situation from a remarkable lady!

This discussion Thread: East Anglia show. May 3rd 2014 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion