Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Early Spring Show Harlow March 2012

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jim McGregor, 08 March 2012, 11:42. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 05 March 2012, 12:08top / bottom of page

The trip to Harlow on Saturday morning was under blank grey skies; later on, when the light in the hall usually deteriorates as the sun moves round, it brightened, and shafts of sunshine crossed the hall from high windows opposite the ones Doug Joyce and I did the photography by. We arrived early, and I carried in my own plants and those of my stepfather David Philbey; no miniature tufa garden this weekend, as the plants in it were not yet in flower, but it looks like I shall need my hernia truss for Loughborough.

Then a quick rush down the corridor to grab a very welcome bacon buttie and cup of tea, scurry round the plant sales stands without finding the treasures unearthed by those more diligent, a few rushed deliveries and collections (the horse-trading that is the real joy of the shows), and back to the show hall as judging started.

Doug Joyce, the official show photographer, had already started work, capturing a lovely array of corydalis brought by the RBG Kew for consideration by the Joint Rock Committee. These are two of them, but there were several more I didn't get to photograph.

Corydalis wendelboi

Exhibited by the Director, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.

Corydalis wendelboi
Corydalis rutifolia

Exhibited by the Director, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.

Corydalis rutifolia

Indeed, Corydalis could easily be said to be the plant of the show; there were lots of different species, but no sign of Corydalis popovii, which won the Farrer medal last year. Here are just a few. They are horrible plants to photograph; it is very difficult to capture the beauty of the individual flowers.

Corydalis henrikii

Exhibited by Mike Chadwick

Corydalis henrikii
Corydalis oppositifolia

Exhibited by Don Peace

Corydalis oppositifolia
Corydalis sewerzowii

Exhibited by Ivor Betteridge

Corydalis sewerzowii
Corydalis darwasica

Saving the best until last, this plant, exhibited by Bob and Rannveig Wallis, was deemed best in show, and awarded a Certificate of Merit, but not a Farrer medal.

Corydalis darwasica
Dionysias

There were some excellent large dionysias at the show, particularly a huge Monika shown by Nigel Fuller, perhaps not quite in the superlative condition we see some years, and showing a few small gaps where early flowers have had to be removed, but fine plants none the less. However, I'm sorry to say that I didn't photograph any of these; they have all featured in previous years. I did, however, photograph some smaller plants from Paul and Gill Ranson, and some fine plants in the 19cm classes exhibited by Bob Fenwick from Surrey, long absent from the show benches, but this has clearly not diminished his growing skills.

Dionysia termeana JLMS02-34-ENF1

Exhibited by Paul and Gill Ranson, and awarded a Certificate of Merit

Dionysia termeana JLMS02-34-ENF1
Dionysia Zdenek Zvolanek MK9801/14

An f1 hybrid ex. D. afghanica, exhibited by Paul and Gill Ranson

Dionysia Zdenek Zvolanek MK9801/14
Dionysia Perlmutt MK01221/2

An f2 hybrid ex. D. MK9301/3, exhibited by Paul and Gill Ranson

Dionysia Perlmutt MK01221/2
Dionysia aretioides

Exhibited by Bob Fenwick

Dionysia aretioides
Dionysia Tess

Exhibited by Bob Fenwick

Dionysia Tess
Primula allionii

There were some lovely small pans of Primula allionii at the show, brought in the main by Nigel Fuller and Brian Burrow. Two stick in the mind in particular; perfect 5in domes of Rosemary and Emily Jane (photographed last year) exhibited by Nigel. I fully intended to go back and photograph several of these when I had finished the more ephemeral crocuses etc., but somehow never got there. However, here are a few primulas which did find their way on to the photography table.

Primula allionii Anna Griffith

Exhibited by Don Peace

Primula allionii Anna Griffith
Primula allionii BB 07/28/6

A new seedling (sown in Dec 2007) with a wonderful colour the camera doesn't do justice to, from Brian Burrow.

Primula allionii BB 07/28/6
Primula allionii DPP 415

Two new seedlings from my stepfather David Philbey, this one from seed sown on Boxing Day 2005. He makes a ritual of sowing his primula seed on Boxing Day morning.

Primula allionii DPP 415
Primula allionii DPP450

This one was sown the following year (Boxing Day 2006), also from David Philbey.

Primula allionii DPP450
Primula Arduaine

Finally, for those who prefer asiatics, here is Primula Arduaine exhibited by Ian Robertson.

Primula Arduaine

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

This discussion Thread: Early Spring Show Harlow March 2012 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion