Alpine Garden Society

Now is the time to enter the Online Show

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Caerleon Show - 13 Feb 2010

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Chris McGregor

Go to latest contribution by Colin Dolding, 17 February 2010, 17:45. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Chris McGregor 14 February 2010, 13:29top / bottom of page
Show Photos

Does anyone have any pictures from the Show yesterday - I was unable to attend - I was keeping an eye on our cat who had an operation on Friday. Although Jim will be posting some plant photos in the offical 'Shows Results' section shortly it is nice to see other peoples pictures.

I gather the Show was very enjoyable and everything ran smoothly thanks to Bob & Rannveig and their team.

Contribution from Jim McGregor 14 February 2010, 13:34top / bottom of page

The Show Results have been put up now with a few pictures. Has anyone got any more?

Contribution from Jim McGregor 14 February 2010, 14:10top / bottom of page
Farrer Medal

As a taster, here is the Farrer Medal plant - Colchicum hungaricum. Congratulations to Jim & Jenny Archibald.

Farrer Medal

I took my own specimen of the same plant. It was the first time it had been to a show in the fifteen years I've been growing it. There's something to be said for a cold late winter. There were quite a few plants on the bench that don't often make it to a show at all.

Contribution from Jon Evans 17 February 2010, 13:23top / bottom of page
Show Photographs

Here are a few more of the formal photos from the show; the ones Jim didn't use in the Show Results Gallery. Given the cold, late season, it was no surprise that the benches were a little 'thin'. What was a surprise was the quality and variety of plants which did appear, with several plants which haven't been seen on a show bench for years; as show photographer I was very busy throughout the day, with limited opportunity to peruse the nursery stands.

In addition, I had a steady stream of people coming to ask questions about my exhibit of close-ups, or about photography in general. I was delighted that the exhibit excited so much interest; probably more than any other I have ever done.

Jim and Jenny Archibald

You will see above that Jim and Jenny Archibald won the Farrer Medal for a wonderful pan of Colchicum hungaricum. Accompanying that they brought a wide array of unusual bulbs, mainly grown from wild-collected seed.

Crocus abantensis
Crocus abantensis
Crocus dalmaticus
Crocus dalmaticus

A three-pan of small pans of unusual crocuses:

Crocus biflorus ssp isauricus
Crocus biflorus ssp isauricus
Crocus biflorus aff ssp tauri
Crocus biflorus aff ssp tauri
Crocus paschei
Crocus paschei
Galanthus fosteri

Almost all the exhibitors brought at least one pot of snowdrops, and the Archibalds were no exception.

Galanthus fosteri
Iris danfordiae ex Bolkar Dag Nigde Turkey

This was of particular interest, when compared with the much larger and paler commercial clone which was also exhibited.

Iris danfordiae ex Bolkar Dag Nigde Turkey
Iris stenophylla ssp allisonii
Iris stenophylla ssp allisonii
Narcissus cantabricus ex Djebel Tazzeka Morocco

This is the plant people have been asking for an identity for on the SRGC forum.

Narcissus cantabricus ex Djebel Tazzeka Morocco
Bob and Rannveig Wallis

The show secretaries still found time to bring a bootful of early spring bulbs, including this small 3-pan showing the variety within Galanthus cultivars.

Galanthus Diggory
Galanthus Diggory
Galanthus elwesii Rosemary Burnham
Galanthus elwesii Rosemary Burnham
Galanthus Wasp
Galanthus Wasp
Galanthus Ione Hecker

The classes for snowdrops were hotly contested. Here is a larger pan from the Wallises.

Galanthus Ione Hecker

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 3:    (1)   2   3   next

This discussion Thread: Caerleon Show - 13 Feb 2010 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion