Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Blackpool AGS Show 13th March 2010

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: CLIFF BOOKER

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 15 March 2010, 11:02. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 3:    1   (2)   3   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Diane Clement 14 March 2010, 20:54top / bottom of page

The benches were a bit lighter than usual, due to the unusually cold winter and still cold weather into March, but it meant there were lots of crocuses still to be seen.

There was some discussion about the differences between Cc vernus, heuffelianus and scepusiensis so here they are for comparision:

The first picture below is Crocus vernus shown by Jean Wylie

The next picture (below) is Crocus heuffelianus 'Brian Duncan' shown by George Young

Crocus scepusiensis (my usual system of photographing the exhibitor's card failed me here, and I am not sure of the exhibitor - possibly Ian Leslie - can anyone confirm or not?)

Here's Gymnospermium albertii - a magnificent pot shown by John Lee - not so easy to photograph, so here's a close up

Crocus corsicus shown by Jean Wylie

and this fabulous pot of Narcissus Betty Mae -

N cyclamineus x asturiensis hybrid winning a certificate of Merit.

John Richards won an AGS medal for the large 6 pan class

included in John's 6-pan entry were:

Primula moupinensis (below)

Primula nana (below)

Primula 'Arduaine' (below)

and Saxifraga 'Louis Armstrong' (below)

There were several hepaticas on the bench, but the one that caught the eye was this unnamed Hepatica japonica with silver edges to the petals shown by Shelagh Smethurst (below)

The above plant was part of a 3 pan entry, also with this white Hepatica japonica (below)

The small 3 pan bulb class was won by Ivor Betteridge,

Second place in the 3 pan bulb class I think the entry is by Ian Leslie

A huge potful of Iris winogradowii shown by George Young

Primula 'Tantallon' shown by Don Peace

and Primula nana alba - a personal favourite of mine that I struggle with as it fizzles out after a couple of years with me

Contribution from Cliff Booker 15 March 2010, 08:27top / bottom of page
Many thanks Diane ... lovely images.

A few more images from my memory cards, all taken at Blackpool national show 2010.

Many thanks Diane ... lovely images.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 2 of 3:    1   (2)   3   previous   next

This discussion Thread: Blackpool AGS Show 13th March 2010 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion