Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Bakewell Show 4th June 2017

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Ian Instone, 07 June 2017, 20:40. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 4 of 6:    1   2   3   (4)   5   6   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 06 June 2017, 22:12top / bottom of page
Resnova megaphylla

Neil Hubbard exhibited a very good form of Resnova megaphylla from South Africa in the class for a plant from the continent of Africa.

Resnova megaphylla
x Rhodoxis Hebron Farm Cerise

The winner of the class for a plant from the continent of Africa was this pan of x Rhodoxis (Rhodohypoxis x Hypoxis) exhibited by Pauline Carless.  This was somewhat controversial, but there were some forms of this hybrid collected in the wild and distributed under names using the Hebron Farm prefix (e.g. Hebron Farm Pink, Hebron Farm Biscuit).  However, a search of the internet (not of course an infallible source of information) reveals that this taxon (Hebron Farm Cerise) originated from West Acre Gardens and is therefore almost certainly a garden hybrid and not a wild-collected one.

x Rhodoxis Hebron Farm Cerise
Roscoea humeana seedling

For some reason, it came as a surprise to me to see Roscoea exhibited in bulbous classes, though that is where the genus appears in the botanical lists.  This form of R. humeana from Diane Clement was an interesting colour.

Roscoea humeana seedling
Roscoea Ice Maiden

Robert Rolfe showed this nice near-white hybrid between R. humeana and R. cautleioides, showing the height of R. cautleioides but the poise of R. humeana.

Roscoea Ice Maiden
Six pan Class

The Bakewell show features an interesting six pan class for 3 plants in flower and 3 for foliage effect.  Here are the two entries; I don't remember whose they were, or which one won.

Six pan Class
Centaurea pestalozzae

Following on from the Centaureas I photographed at Wimborne, here is a yellow one from Tommy Anderson.

Centaurea pestalozzae
Dicentra peregrina x oregana

I think my favourite plant of the day (well, second favourite after the Resnova) was this lovely Dicentra hybrid exhibited by Don Peace.

Dicentra peregrina x oregana
3 pans of Meconopsis

John Richards exhibited a number of Meconopsis, including this 3 pan entry.

3 pans of Meconopsis
Meconopsis racemosa

Exhibited by John Richards

Meconopsis racemosa
Meconopsis racemosa white form

Meconopsis racemosa white form
Meconopsis dhwojii

Meconopsis dhwojii

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 4 of 6:    1   2   3   (4)   5   6   previous   next

This discussion Thread: Bakewell Show 4th June 2017 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion