Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: Autumn Show South 26th Sept 2009

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

A few formal photos taken at the same time as those in the Show Gallery

Go to latest contribution by Margaret Young, 30 September 2009, 19:54. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 28 September 2009, 20:18top / bottom of page
The venue

The morning dawned clear, still, and somewhat chilly for the trip to the autumn show at Rainham. A pleasant drive later we were at the school in perfect September weather. The buildings have been renovated since the spring; apart from some initial confusion (usual entrance doors locked) this was a major improvement, with comfortable eating and seating areas for visitors, and excellent food and service provided by helpful catering staff.

As always the regular helpers from the local groups worked tirelessly all day to make sure the show was a success.

Show Photography

Still no way of doing corrections, so the last section will have to stay as 'the venus' and not 'venue'.  (Jon - I sorted it for you - Diane Clement)

Doug Joyce and I worked together to do the show photography, taking turns to carry plants, and holding the reflector for each other. It is amazing how stupid you feel standing in the middle of the hall holding a 4ft diameter silver disk above your head to reflect light onto a plant 10ft away. While you are standing there, people come and ask questions about photography, completely ignoring your ridiculous pose.

Doug and I took very similar images of many of the plants; since his have now been posted to the Show Results Photo Gallery, I will try to avoid repeating these, and will concentrate on close ups, and a few other things I photographed while Doug was busy elsewhere.

Cyclamen

As usual at this time of the year, the show, and major trophies, were dominated by cyclamen. It was one of those days when exhibitors with superb plants are not even placed, such was the competition on the bench. Whilst it is easy to admire these huge pans filled with bloom, and the skill required of the exhibitor to produce them in such superb quality, it is very difficult to produce photographs which capture the essential delicacy of cyclamen flowers, when so many are massed together. Most of my photos of the biggest plants are very similar to those in the Show Results, so I have omitted those, and offer some close ups, and images of some smaller plants.

Cyclamen graecum ssp candicum exhibited by Pat Nicholls ? 2nd in Class
Cyclamen graecum ssp candicum exhibited by Pat Nic
Cyclamen rohlfsianum exhibited by Ivor Betteridge ? not placed in Clas
Cyclamen rohlfsianum exhibited by Ivor Betteridge
Cyclamen mirabile exhibited by Mr KIS Scott in Section B (!)

1st in Class 78 and awarded a Certificate of Merit

Cyclamen mirabile exhibited by Mr KIS Scott in Sec
Cyclamen intaminatum exhibited by Ian Robertson ? 2nd in Class 34

This is always my favourite cyclamen ? wonderfully delicate, often a beautiful mix of colours, and sometimes scented.

Cyclamen intaminatum exhibited by Ian Robertson ?
Cyclamen graecum ssp candicum exhibited by Ian Robertson ? 1st in Clas
Cyclamen graecum ssp candicum exhibited by Ian Rob
Cyclamen graecum ssp anatolicum exhibited by Pat Nicholls ? 2nd in Cla
Cyclamen graecum ssp anatolicum exhibited by Pat N
Cyclamen x whiteiae exhibited by Alan and Janet Cook ? not placed in C

A hybrid between C. graecum and hederifolium

Cyclamen x whiteiae exhibited by Alan and Janet Co
Cyclamen hederifolium v. confusum exhibited by Alan Blackman ? 2nd in

A beautiful, elegant specimen, with long stems, very large flowers, and leaves yet to develop.

Cyclamen hederifolium v. confusum exhibited by Ala
Autumn Bulbs

As well as the cyclamen, many other autumn bulbs made an appearance. Several of these appear in the Show Results Gallery, but here are some close ups.

Biarum davisii ssp marmoriense exhibited by Cecilia Coller ? 2nd in Cl

An unusual spicy scent, but not unpleasant, unlike the following.

Biarum davisii ssp marmoriense exhibited by Cecili
Biarum pyrami exhibited by Bob and Rannveig Wallis ? not placed in Cla

Transported all the way from Carmarthenshire, and presumably, all the way back again (with the windows wide open ?). I took this close up to try to capture the beautiful deep crimson of the spathe, but the AGS Journal will need a scratch and sniff section to capture the plant properly.

Biarum pyrami exhibited by Bob and Rannveig Wallis
Oxalis lobata exhibited by Cecilia Coller ? 1st in Class 1
Oxalis lobata exhibited by Cecilia Coller ? 1st in
Oxalis massoniana exhibited by Keith and Rachel Lever ? not placed in
Oxalis massoniana exhibited by Keith and Rachel Le
Colchicums in Class 33

Bob and Rannveig Wallis won this class with a group of three colchicums ? here are two of them in closeup.

Colchicum cousturieri
Colchicum cousturieri
Colchicum stevenii

This is a beautiful tiny plant I now have on my 'wants' list.

Colchicum stevenii
Crocus boryi exhibited by Lee and Julie Martin

1st in Class 8, and winner of the 80th Anniversary Award for the best plant in a 19cm pot. This closeup was an attempt to capture the detail of the branched orange stigma.

Crocus boryi exhibited by Lee and Julie Martin
Crocus kotschyanus leucopharynx exhibited by Don Peace ? 1st in Class
Crocus kotschyanus leucopharynx exhibited by Don P
Crocus niveus exhibited by Ian Robertson ? 2nd in Class 55
Crocus niveus exhibited by Ian Robertson ? 2nd in
Narcissus cavanillesii exhibited by Bob and Rannveig Wallis ? 2nd in C
Narcissus cavanillesii exhibited by Bob and Rannve
Sternbergia sicula exhibited by Alan Newton ? not placed in Class 31
Sternbergia sicula exhibited by Alan Newton ? not

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 2:    (1)   2   next

This discussion Thread: Autumn Show South 26th Sept 2009 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion