Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: AUTUMN SOUTH SHOW

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: David Hoare

Go to latest contribution by Tim Ingram, 01 October 2014, 17:53. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from David Hoare 13 August 2014, 20:15top / bottom of page

AUTUMN SOUTH SHOW on SATURDAY 27th SEPTEMBER 2014 at

RAINHAM SCHOOL for GIRLS, DERWENT WAY, RAINHAM, KENT. ME8 0BX

PLANT SALES FROM 9am    SHOW OPEN at 12 Noon or before

STAGING 7-45am to 9-45am  No late entries after 9-30am

Nurseries Attending.

ABERCONWY

CHOICE LANDSCAPES

HARTSIDE

COPTON ASH

JACQUES AMAND

POTTERTON

BURIED TREASURE

LITTLE HEATH

If you have any plants you would like to sell, please bring them double labeled

to our AGS Members table.

Refreshments all day and a good Tombola

We look forward to seeing you.

David Hoare.

P.S    AGS KENT SHOW NEXT YEAR WILL BE ON 21st MARCH 2015

Contribution from Yann DUPONT 16 August 2014, 20:40top / bottom of page

I'll be present at the show, shuttle already booked.

Always a pleasure for overseas member to admire such beauties not often seen on this side of the channel.

Contribution from David Hoare 20 September 2014, 19:29top / bottom of page

Yann look forward to seeing you, be carefull there are many people in Calais that would like to come to the UK, make sure they have got £2-50p to enter the show!!!!

Please bring any spare plants you have for sale on the AGS plant stall (double labled)

There may be delays on the A249 between the M20 and the M2 (Detling Hill) road works.

See you next Saturday.

Regards David Hoare.

Contribution from Brian Whyer 20 September 2014, 20:18top / bottom of page

Same weekend as RHS Malvern. Don't think I can face driving to both on alternate days. Maybe the reason not many alpines or alpine growers at Malvern. A missed opportunity for potential members?

Contribution from Yann DUPONT 21 September 2014, 08:07top / bottom of page

David i'll advertise on the eurotunnel's walls :+))

I was last week near Maidstone and i saw they were resurfacing the junction.
I guess on Saturday traffic is not heavy as during the week.

Hope to see other continental members there.

Yann

Contribution from Tim Ingram 21 September 2014, 19:15top / bottom of page

Yann - here are a few pictures to put up on the Eurotunnel walls from previous autumn Shows...

Contribution from Tim Ingram 22 September 2014, 14:11top / bottom of page

It is always a question what sort of display to put up at the entrance to the Rainham Show each year. It's nice to have an introduction to alpine gardening as you walk through the door.

Here is line from Luc Gilgemyn from December 15th 2009 on the Scottish Rock Garden Thread of Crevice gardening:

What an immensely interesting thread this is !!!

It really rocks !!    ( + smily face avec sunglasses... )

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you !

It does too!

So this will be the theme - some photos from some gardens, plus perhaps a few little quotes from this thread, the SRGC, Z.Z., and other contributors permitting. There is great inspiration there and a little fun... and a deal of good advice.

Contribution from David Hoare 25 September 2014, 10:33top / bottom of page

The weather is set fine for Saturday. Hope we have a good day.

Don't forget the road works on the A249 Detling Hill It has caused delays this week

but may be better on Saturday.

David.

Contribution from Yann DUPONT 26 September 2014, 15:55top / bottom of page

Gonna drive via the A2 and then M2, no roadworks scheduled this way.

Contribution from David Hoare 28 September 2014, 09:08top / bottom of page

A good day thanks to everyone who made it work

Congratulations to Ian Robertson on his Farrer Medal Plant cyclamen graecum ssp anatolicum

David

Contribution from Jon Evans 01 October 2014, 15:25top / bottom of page

After the exhaustion of the last two weekends, I was pleased to be making the relatively short 90 minute journey to Kent.  The morning was overcast but with occasional glimpses of the sun, which promised reasonable light for photography later on.  When I reached the show, I found that Janine, the local art secretary, and her helpers, had done a great job and put up all the art entries on Friday night, so I had a change to stage my plants, and then tour the plant stalls before the judging began. 

The artistic competition has been so successful in the last two or three years that space is becoming a problem, both here and at other shows.  I don't know what we will do next year, if the number of entries increases further.  This year, however, I was one of the group judging the art, and with so many entries it was quite late before we were finished and I was able to start photography. 

As usual, my initial efforts were directed at capturing those plants whose flowers might prove ephemeral.  My usual photography spot at the autumn show was handicapped because the curtains for the overhead windows wouldn't open, but I found a convenient gap at the end of one of the benches, where I had good overhead light from two sides, and didn't have any shadows to soften with a reflector. 

Nevertheless, as the day went on the light diminished, and I soon found that my LED panel was needed to add some punch to the images.  Because of the late start, and the large number of excellent plants on display, I ended up in 'wedding photographer' mode, taking 'whole plant' shots of each exhibit, but without the time and calm I need to focus on more artistic close-ups, so this set of photos should provide a fairly good record of the show, but lacks a little bit of inspiration.

Oxalis lobata

I started with this magnificent pan of Oxalis lobata / perdicaria from Bob and Rannveig Wallis, packed with flowers and wonderfully short.  I was a little surprised it wasn't picked out for a Certificate of Merit.

Oxalis lobata
Oxalis lobata Cetrino

The pale lemon form of the oxalis above, exhibited by Cecilia Coller.  I believe it is properly called Cetrino and not citrino; I remember it was discussed in the bulletin a few years ago.  Like the other oxalis, the flowers are liable to close as soon as the warmth goes off them.

Oxalis lobata Cetrino
Oxalis massoniana

I finish off my coverage of oxalis with this orange oxalis, exhibited by Don Peace.  I thought I had lost my own plant, but I think I just missed the tiny bulbils when repotting, and it has reappeared in other pots where I refreshed and reused the potting soil.  Normally at this show we see large pans of Oxalis Ken Aslet, and of Oxalis hirta, particularly the Gothenburg form; are they later this year, or have the exhibitors stopped growing them ?

Oxalis massoniana
Sternbergia greuteriana

Continuing the yellow theme, this huge pan of Sternbergia greuteriana won a Certificate of Merit for Lee and Julie Martin.

Sternbergia greuteriana
Sternbergia greuteriana

Lee and Julie Martin also won the Halsted Trophy for the best plant raised from seed with a smaller pan of the sternbergia, sown on 16-5-2005.

Sternbergia greuteriana
Narcissus cavanillesii

The Keith Moorhouse Trophy for the best plant in a 19cm pot went to Ian Robertson for this superb pan of a Narcissus most of us find difficult to flower (I had one flower this year).  As I said on SRGC forum, I spoke to Ian about this plant after the show.  Whilst it is clear that he has a very good clone, he stresses that the important thing is for it to become very pot-bound.  These bulbs are in a plastic pot, double potted for the show, and he hasn't disturbed them for 5-6 years.  He merely replaces the compost above the bulbs in summer, and feeds once or twice with dilute tomato food in spring, before letting them bake in the summer.  

Narcissus cavanillesii
Empodium flexile

Also yellow, and emitting a strong, spicy scent, pleasing to some and unpleasant to others, this lovely pan of the South African empodium was exhibited by George Elder.  I was envious; I used to have a pan like this, but lost almost all the bulbs when the pot froze through in 2009, when my greenhouse heater failed during a period of severe frost (-10C).  It has been very slow to re-establish.

Empodium flexile
Colchicum baytopiorum

There were very few colchicums on the bench this year; the best came from Bob and Rannveig Wallis.  Several of my own flowered early and very sporadically; others have yet to produce anything above ground.

Colchicum baytopiorum
Crocus banaticus

Don Peace brought down another pan of his excellent clone of Crocus banaticus.  I photographed it again, because I thought last week's photos came out a little too blue; I think this one captures the colour better.

Crocus banaticus
Crocus nudiflorus

Another crocus with similar coloration from Ian Robertson.

Crocus nudiflorus
Pleione Confirmation

This pleione was exhibited by Ian Robertson as x lagenaria, but I am told that since the cross was made in cultivation, it should be described as 'Confirmation'.  I have included two close-ups of the flower, the first taken head-on using the LED panel to boost the lighting, the second using natural light and a more oblique angle, resulting in a better colour rendition, but a rather flat image.

Pleione Confirmation

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 4:    (1)   2   3   4   next

This discussion Thread: AUTUMN SOUTH SHOW - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion