Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: AGS Kent Autumn Show 21st October 2017

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 29 October 2017, 10:03. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 5:    1   2   (3)   4   5   previous   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 26 October 2017, 16:09top / bottom of page
Correa Marians Marvel

The Kent Trophy, the aggregate for the Intermediate Section, went to David and Liz Livermore, whose offerings included a three-pan exhibit of Correas.

Correa Marians Marvel
Massonia jasminiflora

One last plant from the intermediate section; Gemma Hayes exhibited this perfect little plant of Massonia jasminiflora.

Massonia jasminiflora
Massonia tenella query Wolmaransstad

By contrast, the plant exhibited by Ian Sharpe as M. jasminiflora was rather different, and I am fairly convinced that it is M. tenella (recent photographs of other plants on the SRGC forum tend to confirm this).  This confusion is not surprising; a wide range of material has been imported from South Africa in the last 20 years under this name, and recent research has split these into 4 or 5 different species.

Massonia tenella query Wolmaransstad
Massonia pygmaea subsp pygmaea

Sticking with Massonia, George Elder showed this well-grown pan of the decidedly difficult M. pygmaea subsp pygmaea (the other subspecies, M. pygmaea subsp kamiesbergensis, with glabrous rather than pustulate leaves, is somewhat more forgiving).

Massonia pygmaea subsp pygmaea
Massonia roggeveldensis

George Elder also exhibited the recently described M. roggeveldensis (material has been in cultivation for a while under other names).

Massonia roggeveldensis
Gladiolus stefaniae

As well as the massonias, George Elder brought another three pan exhibit of South African bulbs.  Gladiolus stefaniae is one of the most beautiful of the autumn-flowering gladioli.

Gladiolus stefaniae
Strumaria salteri

This is a strumaria that I have always found difficult to keep, let alone flower.  George Elder makes it look easy.  The leaning, twining stalks don't indicate poor culture - it is what the plants do, even in full sun.

Strumaria salteri
Strumaria prolifera

Finally, I would like to introduce you to a Strumaria which I have never seen in flower before, which is flowering for me for the first time, and which I brought to show George.  I didn't put it in the show, because the first bud was only just opening, but a few days later in the greenhouse it is an attractive little thing 4-6 inches high.

Strumaria prolifera
Colchicum byzantinum Innocence

In the open section, Jacques Amand staged a beautifully grown pan of colchicum which was loved by some visitors (and judges), and had rather less appeal for others.  The pink tips to the petals seem to have a rather marmite effect.

Colchicum byzantinum Innocence

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 3 of 5:    1   2   (3)   4   5   previous   next

This discussion Thread: AGS Kent Autumn Show 21st October 2017 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion