Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for AGS Shows

AGS Shows: AGS Kent Autumn Show 21st October 2017

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Go to latest contribution by Jon Evans, 29 October 2017, 10:03. Go to bottom of this page.

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 26 October 2017, 15:53top / bottom of page

The Kent Autumn Show this year took place very late in the season, and there was a lot of speculation about what exhibitors would still have in flower.  In the event these concerns were unjustified; although the tables were a little sparser than usual, there was plenty of interest for judges and exhibitors alike.  Unfortunately, the morning of the show was also the morning storm Brian was due to arrive, but the exhibitors are a hardy bunch, and apart from a few wild gusts, the storm did not make much impact.  I arrived just after sunrise at 8, to help with display boards for the Saxifrage Hub, and I imagine that later arrivals would have had a more tricky journey, with low sun through the heavy spray on the M25 travelling eastwards.

When I went into the show hall to set my photographic gear up at the start of judging, the artistic section had already been judged so I was able to photograph the exhibits without getting in trouble for disrupting judging.  With the retirement of Jean Morris, the only exhibitor in the Open Section was Rannveig Wallis.  These are paintings of Iris wallisiae, Corydalis popovii, Corydalis schanginii var ainae, Trillium foetidissimum.

In the Intermediate Section, Gemma Hayes was exhibiting work, I think for the first time.  Here are an embroidered Nerine masoniorum, Hyacinthoides lingulata var ciliolata, and Callianthemum anemonoides.

Judging was nearly finished now, so I took a few shots of the hall, but the light was proving difficult, changing constantly between strong sunshine with harsh shadows, and deep gloom dominated by orange overhead lighting.  That was to prove the story for the rest of the day.  In the end I used the light from a north facing window, augmented by my LED panel, and a reflector to bounce in sunlight (when available).  If I set up to use the sunlight properly, it would vanish immediately.

Six small pans of rock plants

Bob and Rannveig Wallis won the AGS Medal for the small six pan class.

Six small pans of rock plants
Crocus laevigatus

As always, when judging finished I made a beeline for the crocuses, starting with this pan of C. laevigatus from Lee and Julie Martin.

Crocus laevigatus
Crocus laevigatus

Lee and Julie Martin also exhibited a small pan of a charming white form of C. laevigatus.

Crocus laevigatus
Crocus tournefortii

Somehow or other Ian Robertson managed to produce a pan of C. tournefortii in good condition, though we saw other pans of this in full flower at the Loughborough Autumn Show three weeks previously.

Crocus tournefortii
Crocus goulimyi

A small pan of C. goulimyi from Don Peace.

Crocus goulimyi
Crocus niveus

Also from Don Peace, the lovely C. niveus.

Crocus niveus

Long threads are now split into pages: Page 1 of 5:    (1)   2   3   4   5   next

This discussion Thread: AGS Kent Autumn Show 21st October 2017 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic AGS Shows
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion