Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Wisley's Alpine Diary Discussion

Go and read the Wisley Diary.

Wisley's Alpine Diary Discussion: 28 May 2008

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: Jon Evans

Unknown Paeony at Wisley

Go to latest contribution by Paul Cumbleton, 03 July 2008, 15:07. Go to bottom of this page.

Images on this page are shown as thumbnails. Click on an image to enlarge it.

Contribution from Jon Evans 04 June 2008, 16:20top / bottom of page
Unknown Paeony at Wisley

Hi I was at Wisley in the first half of May, and found this lovely bed of white paeonies (12-18in high) in the woodland opposite the Alpine Meadow. Unfortunately I could not find a label for it. Could someone tell me what species this is ?

Unknown Paeony at Wisley
Unknown Paeony at Wisley - Closeup

Here the paeony is in close up.

Unknown Paeony at Wisley - Closeup

Contribution from Paul Cumbleton 10 June 2008, 11:33top / bottom of page

Hi Jon, The bed this Paeony is in is maintained by another department so I had to go and check the computer database to try and find out about this plant. Unfortunately the records for this plant have it recorded simply as "Paeony" with no species or cultivar information given. It has now finished flowering, so unfortunately it is too late to get our botanists to attempt an identification. I could do this next year if you remind me next May. Sorry I can't be of more help. Paul

Contribution from Paul Cumbleton 03 July 2008, 15:07top / bottom of page

Jon, After my last note on this, Maggi Young contacted me saying she thought this plant is probably P. emodii. She asked Hans Joschko and he agreed that this is the likely identity of this Paeony. Hope this helps, and thanks to Maggi! Paul

This discussion Thread: 28 May 2008 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Wisley's Alpine Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion