Alpine Garden Society

01386 554790
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion, All discussion threads for Schachen Diary Discussion

Schachen Diary Discussion: Entry 11, July 1st 2012

To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Started by: John Richards

Primula szechuanica group

Go to latest contribution by Jenny Wainwright-Klein, 22 August 2012, 17:09. Go to bottom of this page.

Contribution from John Richards 07 August 2012, 10:28top / bottom of page
Primula aemula/szechuanica

Hello Jenny,

Really interesting photos from Schachen. Keep them coming. I was fascinated to see the really well-grown plant in the Primula szechuanica group. Pam Eveleigh has examined this group in detail recently, and we examined type specimens together in the Edinburgh herbarium in March. I was convinced by Pam that plants like yours with non-reflexed petals, green-backed leaves and often candelabroid inflorescences are not the same as the type of P. szechuanica which has tightly reflexed petals and silver-backed leaves. They are correctly P. aemula, which is what you have at Schachen. Its main area is around Zhongdian, e.g. Haba Shan and Shika Shan.

Contribution from Jenny Wainwright-Klein 22 August 2012, 17:09top / bottom of page

Thanks, John for giving the correct name for my Primula from the Pr. szechuanica group. I received the seed from the Prague Botanical Garden, it came as Primula sp. wild collected in Zhongdian! This corresponds perfectly to your information that it is Primula aemula which occurs in this area of Yunnan.

This discussion Thread: Entry 11, July 1st 2012 - To make contributions or to send emails to other contributors Login

Go to top of this page
Discussion Topic Schachen Diary Discussion
All topics Members' On-Line Discussion